Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 08, 2019, 10:32:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 gallon (shimp?)  (Read 3668 times)
josh WM
slap shot

Tanks: 55g African Cichlids _ 20 gallon other_ 10 gallon neolamprogus Brevis_3 gallon guppy:s

And then it happend.....

« on: May 09, 2009, 10:42:36 PM »

So ive finally i got my cichlid back to his 55 gallon which leaves my 3 gallon free! ( it was a long story happy ending tho  Wink )

I would love some shrimp in it and some live plants (nothing big!)

I LOVE MUSTANGS!  "They get mean when the light goes green!"
josh WM
slap shot

Tanks: 55g African Cichlids _ 20 gallon other_ 10 gallon neolamprogus Brevis_3 gallon guppy:s

And then it happend.....

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 11:29:43 PM »

sorry for double postin my comp had problems

i was wondering on how to light the tank filter it and what fish or shrimp would be okay there.. sorry for the bad posting!

Josh WM

tonbrencat

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 01:44:04 PM »

Hey Josh,
Shrimp can be really sensitive to water quality, IMO the best starter shrimp would be red cherry shrimp, they are hardy and less sensitive to nitrates. Planted is good, they do best in planted IMO and that is how I house mine, my only concern is the size of tank, 3 gal would work but you would have to do frequent water changes, the smaller tanks can go bad fast and are less forgiving. Filter would be best by sponge filter to avoid sucking the shrimp and baby shrimp into the filter, but the use of a guard on the intake works as well. Lighting that would depend on the type of plants you wanted, Shrimp like java moss and that is a low light type plant, so the light you have may work if the tank came with one. Fish with the shrimp, I would say no, but only because of the size of your tank, otherwise small fish with little mouths like neons. IMO in a 3g just the shrimp with frequent water changes and no fish.

Brenda
winn0923

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 05:41:27 PM »

Yup 3 gallon can be a shrimp tank with about 50% water change per week or less if you have it heavily planted.  I find that the easiest way to go around making a shrimp tank is to load it up with moss, riccia, or subwassertang.  Add some driftwood in there and the moss and the subwassertang will attach themselves to it (use fishing line) and it would make it a very nice looking shrimp tank.  Lighting can be done with a 13W bulb light at homedepot @ 6500K.

Live, learn, be happy.

Specialized in wild bettas and Malawi cichlids.
josh WM
slap shot

And then it happend.....

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 10:54:50 PM »

thanks for the feed back...about the bulb...i dont have a liting case or anything i bought the tank from scratch. Will that 13 watt still work???

Josh WM  happy

winn0923

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 11:22:08 PM »

Yea you can buy one of those cheap clip on light thingy for about 10 bucks at lowes or home depot.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=191955-56253-GS1-862C&lpage=none

Then you can change the bulb to a 13W CF 6500 K bulb (also available at these hardware store)

Live, learn, be happy.

Specialized in wild bettas and Malawi cichlids.
josh WM
slap shot

And then it happend.....

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 06:17:07 PM »

thanks i will surely look into it! cased closed! THANKS AGAIN!!!

Josh WM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation