Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 08, 2019, 08:43:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5 Gal with ADFs?  (Read 3488 times)
glorums

« on: June 01, 2009, 11:39:05 AM »

Hello everyone.  I have a 5 gallon tank with filter, light and hood but no heater.  Can I put ADFs in it?  I was thinking of maybe 2 with a snail or minnows? Maybe I would need a heater?  I had thought of maybe adding a betta to it, but I don't think they would get along with ADFs.  I've tried ADFs in the past, but in larger tanks and they didn't last, which is why I thought a small tank would make them happier?

Thanks for any feedback or advice....

glorums

This is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it!
glorums

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 11:40:51 AM »

I have a new 5 gallon tank that I was thinking of putting a betta in.  It has a filter and light but no heater.  What would be a nice set up?  Also, could I put a betta and ADF in this tank?

Thanks for any advice.

This is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it!
mushin
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 12:12:01 PM »

I have a 5.5g with a male betta, it has 5 pounds of gravel, a tiki hut, and fake plant and a fake corner rock wall display he loves it, you should get a heater for the tank betta's like the temp around 79-80, unless you live in the south, I live up in the boonies of wisconsin, gets cold. As far as the ADF, I would think one would be ok, no more then that though, and honestly I would even hesitate to put it in there.

My gravel is white so it shows off the color of the betta more, I have a black background on the tank, to hide the filter and heater cord. Other then that, simple is nice, they like plants to lounge on tho.

HTH
Matt

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 12:15:07 PM »

No.  5 gallons is too small for anything you have listed, except for a lone betta.  HTH.
jakester
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 02:10:34 PM »

Actually, I think the ADFs would be fine. I don't know about how many, however.
They didn't last in the larger tanks because they were probably to high.
Matt

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 04:10:08 PM »

ADFs need a good combination of height and length.  Standard size tanks are great for them, breeders are too.  however, a 5 gallon is not.  Most 5 gallon tanks are either hex or eclipse.  Hex tanks are too little widthwise, and eclipse are too. 
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 04:40:28 PM »

African Dwarf Frog profile - ADF

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile99.html 

ADFs can live a long healthy life in a 5 gallon tank. Of course a 10 would be better but a 5 isn't too little.

ADFs can't be put into an uncycled tank. The tank has to be fully cycled or they will die. They absorb everything through their skin and they simply can't live through the cycling process.

ADFs and height. I wrote the short profile on them but I could add alot more information to the profile. ADFs are strong swimmers and the height of a tank isn't as important as I once thought. In larger tanks the most important factor is what fish are in the tank with the ADFs. If the fish constantly get in the way of the ADFs as they try to surface for air then one would have to assume that they are being stressed which of of course will make them weak and sick.

*Others will disagree about the height issue. I would not put an ADF in a tall tank but a standard 30 long etc isn't too tall for them. All one has to do is observe how quickly a HEALTHY ADF gets to the surface to realize the little guys are strong swimmers. But everyone is entitled to their opinion and its ok to agree to disagree.

I believe in heaters unless a person lives in an unusually hot area.

A betta can and will thrive in a 5 gallon.

5 gallon: 1 betta/1 snail OR 2-3 ADFs.

HTH

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation