Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

October 20, 2014, 10:43:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

Discount Aquarium Supplies at ThatFishPlace.com
News: mchambersn won "The get to know the Corydoras" contest. Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fin Rot - is it contagious?  (Read 5832 times)
d

Tanks: 75 Gallon

« on: June 17, 2009, 10:21:05 PM »

Is fin rot contagious?  I will not be able to set up a hospital tank until this weekend and am worried for my other fishes.  They all seem healthy and happy except for the silver dollar who's fins are slowly disintergrating.  He seems to have textbook fin rot and I already purchased the meds for it but do not want to treat my entire 75 gallon tank.  I thought I would move him to a 10 gallon where I will be able to treat him for the full 5 days with only one package of meds ($19.99 a package).
Perhaps I am way off base and need to treat all my fishes even though they show no ill signs???

Donna
VĭиŏиMăĭ₣

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 11:08:55 PM »

Fin rot may be a sign of poor water conditions.
I say do a water change.

How often do you do water changes?
What are your water test readings?

Without friends everything is for nought.
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 125 community, 450 pacu community, 180 community, 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 10:24:39 AM »

It is very contageous, but as Vinson said... it has a clear cause.  What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings?

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
d

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 01:01:40 PM »

Long story...in a nutshell...two days ago I did a 60% water change.  Silver Dollar was already showing symptoms at that time.  I had things all wrong originally, 6 inches of gravel with only an under water filter system.  I took out 4 inches of gravel (cleaned up all the gunk underneith first) and added a filter to the back of the tank for good measure.  My Nitrites are clear/zero, my Nitrates are showing orange (according to the directions on the box this is good) and PH is green (again, good according to the box).  Sorry I'm at my office so I don't have specific numbers.  I do not have an ammonia test kit but plan on getting one on my way home today.
I was doing water changes every week (and intend to continue) but because of my inexperience did not know my tank set up was slowly messing things up.  There is no doubt the water conditions before caused major problems but I am hoping to be on the right track now.  All of the advice I have been given on this forum in the last few days has been more valuable that what my local pet store has told me in the last 8 months.
Anyway...I wonder if I should pull out my Silver Dollar today for the sake of my other fish or treat my whole tank with the meds?

Donna
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 125 community, 450 pacu community, 180 community, 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 01:39:31 PM »

You won't need the ammonia kit right away.  I can tell you, your ammonia is zero. 

Its good to have one for the long run, but its not urgent.

60% water change 2 days a go is a good thing.  I would do another one in 2 more days.  wait 4 days and do it again.  With a known water problem... 2x weekly water changes can't hurt.  There is no promise they will help either, but you know then that the #1 cause of trouble is ruled out.  (And they are cheap!)

Who lives in here other than that silver dollar?  Specifically I am wondering about any scaleless fish.   Salt can be used to treat fin rot.  Its much cheaper than what you bought.  You can use Kosher table salt from the grocery store.  You want something with out an anticaking agent and preferably not iodized.  Kosher pickling salt works great.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
d

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 02:41:28 PM »

I lost a lot of fish recently.  All that is left in the tank are an elephant nose (my Ghost Fish died), 3 black skirted tetras, a bala shark, two spotted cat fish, a plecostomus, a little aquatic frog (just love him), and the silver dollar.  Would I put the kosher salt in the tank with all of the fish or QT the silver dollar?  How much salt?
I will take your advice on the water changes.

Donna
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 05:19:41 PM »

No salt with the elephant fish, sorry.

Ahh yes I recall your tank now.  We told you you couldn't put two electric fish together.  I am surprised it was the knife that died...  But I knew one would.

Ok you have to resolve the stocking issues too.  Poor stocking causes stress.  Stressed fish get illnesses.  You can treat this illness but new ones will come.  Schooling fish need to be in schools.  Bala sharks need to be in schools of 6, one by its self will die.  Silver dollars need to be in schools of 4-6, tetras need a school of at least 6.  I would recommend finding the bala shark a new home.  Set up a smaller tank to treat the fin rot on the silver dollar.  That tank can then be used as a quarantine.  Get 3 more black shirts and 3 more silver dollars.... leave them in the quarantine tank for a month with out illness and then add them to the 75. 

d

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 12:01:29 PM »

Well I set up my "hospital tank", a 10 gallon, for my silver dollar.  I added him and the meds and he is eating but seems to be looking at me with a "what the hell" attitude.  Poor guy! I am wondering if his fins will come back or if they will always be disintergrated?  I estimate he lost about 15 - 20%.
I did another 50% water change on my 75 gal yesterday and all seems to be well. PH/Nitrites/Nitrates are all as they should be.  I will definately take the stocking advice given and look forward to getting some more fish.  I have been studying the fish profiles on this site and have learned a lot.  I understand the need for QT'ing any new fish but would like to know exactly what to look for in the month they are isolated.  I would also be interested in anyones guess at a percentage of QT'ed fish that become sick. 
Thanks for all of the good advice given so far!

Donna
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 09:23:03 PM »

What % becomes sick depends on the species bought and how long they were at the pet shop (combined with the quality of their shipping container).

Its really quite variable.

d

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 10:11:46 AM »

Well, I have had my silver dollar quarantined and medicated for 6 days now.  According to the package of meds he should be cured.  I do not see any improvement in his fins but I suspect if they are to rejuvenate it will take some time. Should I keep the poor guy in the 10 gal QT tank and put up with his dirty looks (he can see the 75 gallon from where he is), or give him some more time in QT?  If I am advised by you experts to leave him put, my next question will obviously be for how long?
Gonna be 106 degrees here for the next week in the Central Valley of California...lots of time to tinker with the fishes under the air conditioner.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Donna
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 04:07:58 PM »

I would leave him in QT for a little while longer.  My gut thought is at least 2 weeks more, but I know the more conservative folks are going to push for 6 weeks.  Get his fins growing and his water clear of the meds before you move him back.

mushin
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 07:53:33 PM »

im going to say 6 weeks in qt, I just got done with a qt session and 6 weeks is a great safety net, it is just one of those "yeah I feel good putting you in my tank" thing

just my  11574
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's