Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 25, 2014, 04:03:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

Discount Aquarium Supplies at ThatFishPlace.com
News: mchambersn won "The get to know the Corydoras" contest. Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: tetra whisper 30-60 set-up question  (Read 8925 times)
polamalurocks

Tanks: 55 gallon

« on: July 07, 2009, 11:22:32 AM »

Hello all,

I was given a tetra whisper 30-60 hob filter for my 55 gallon tank. I am almost ready to set-up after building a stand for the aquarium. Now I am looking at the filter and inside it has a black mesh square pad housed in a black plastic grid looking holder on both sides of the filter. My question is if I am missing any other parts to the filter or is it ready to go? I see white "bio bags" for sale and I think I may need it but if so where does it go- in front or behind the black mesh part? After looking around, it seems this model of filter has been redesigned- anyone know? Thanks for all your expertise!  confused
Shari
Ringmaster of this Three Ringed Monkey Show!!!
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 04:10:18 PM »

Hey there happy

Sorry you haven't gotten any responses, here....let's see....

If I understand correctly, there are two black plastic "boxes" full of holes (mesh) that rest in the back of the filter (one on each side)...is that correct?

If so, they are just for extra media. You can put whatever you want in them...floss, carbon, ceramic pieces, even Peat, whatever you think your tank needs. You DO need the bio bags for that type of filter, and they should slide into slots in from of the boxes. The boxes can remain empty and even removed if you don't want to use them.

Hope that helps Smiley

Fish Pimp  kewl

===========================

"The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse to the trap that get's the cheese"

And I honestly prefer Cheese Wink
andywoolloo

Tanks: 10, 40, 50 and two 75 gals

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 06:43:10 PM »

behind the black mesh sponge and grid goes a media bag attached to a blue clip grid. The black sponges in the grid in front and the media bag behind with the grid and clip that comes in the box when you buy them.  Make sue you rinse the bio bags first to get the carbon dust off. There is even a place for the grid o nthe medi bag to slide into behind the sponge.  I do not use charcoal so I always buy the ones that you can put together and just leave out the charcoal and save it for if I ever have to remove  anything from the tank like meds.

if it's this filter

polamalurocks

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 08:18:50 PM »

Thanks for responding. I just knew I was about to get kicked off the forum for asking a stupid question before even purchasing the first fish...

Shari, thanks for taking a stab at my question. The pictures that andywoolloo posted are correct for what I have. I have visited my lfs and have a better idea of what I need now. I am planning to purchase SA cichlids for my 55 gal tank and only knew that they required good filtration but I do not recall a specific media for filtration. I think I need to research filtration a little further.

Thanks andywoolloo for the info on the order and how it is placed in the filter (bio bag rinsed first then behind mesh). Do you use something else instead of the charcoal? The pictures you posted are great and made me feel much better and understood (I should have posted them, oops).

In all honesty, I was trying to weigh whether or not to spend the money on the bio-bag or just buy a better filter? The filter was donated to me and at this point I wasn't sure if it was complete or missing parts. Thanks for helping me sort through this stuff.
andywoolloo

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 08:27:03 PM »

I would run  a canister filter on a 55. I have canisters on all my bigger tanks.

You could run a canister and that Whisper 60. Two are good cause you can alternate the cleaning of them. And if one has an issues the other is still working.

I run Rena Filstar canisters on 3 of my four tanks. And some have two canisters on them and some have one and a HOB filter.  My smallest tank just has a HOB, its a 20 long with syno lucipinnis, I just upgraded from the Whisper 60 to the new Whisper EX70 HOB.  Only because my old whisper 60 was a bit old.

But back to your question, what I do or did with the Whisper 60 and still do with my other HOBS is I use obviously the sponge and grid, but for the media bags I buy the Marineland Rite Size Bonded filter pad and cut it to fit. The scratchier blue side to the back and the white to the front.  Way more economical. I do the uncut blue bonded 6 pack and it's lasts me forever! And that's all I have in mine.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4136+4231&pcatid=4231

polamalurocks

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 08:40:15 PM »

Cool andywoolloo! I am going to take your advice and I am all about a cheaper more efficient way. This way I can save for the better filter also. Is charcoal best for removing meds only? Thanks again.
andywoolloo

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 09:47:45 PM »

you'll get varying opinions on charcoal use. I do not use it in any of my tanks. Unless I need to remove meds. I keep it on hand. I started investigating charcoal or I am sorry activated carbon I guess they call it, when I started keeping synos. And some people feel it may contribute to lateral line disease that some of them are susceptible to, so unknown if that's true or not but so many sites said it was not necessary and I didn't want to take that chance.   

I do not use it on a regular basis.

And your welcome.  Just passing on a good sound tip from a good fishkeeper friend of mine, or several. Re the charcoal and the bonded filter pads. Paying it back, sort of , you know?

Sometimes when multiple tank syndrome takes over you start to look for more economical ways. Like play sand over Carib Sea. lol.

polamalurocks

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 12:02:35 PM »

thanks again for your help and have a great weekend!  happy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support