Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 19, 2019, 03:34:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Amano Shrimp Question  (Read 2700 times)
jimmyd

Tanks: 20 Gallon(high); 8 Gallon Biorb

« on: July 23, 2009, 06:33:50 PM »

I have four Amano Shrimp in my 20 gallon (maybe 5, but there's always at least one hiding so I'm not sure... I originally bought 5). Anyway, some of them are a bit more brave than others. Some will hide all of the time; some will venture out from base camp (a piece of drift wood) a bit but then return after seeing either myself or the tetras; but there are one or two that can be spotted on regular occasion scraping away at the plant leaves throughout the tank.

Ever since my first water change after buying them I've noticed odd behavior. Every time I drain the first few gallons of water out of the tank, the shrimp start acting crazy. They start doing laps around the perimeter of the tank, and do so very quickly... just going around and around. They don't stop until I've refilled the tank with water.

Has anybody else ever seen this happen? Is this standard behavior for all shrimp? It's almost as if they're looking for a way out of the tank. I'm assuming that in their natural habitat the water will drain or recede from time to time, maybe signaling that it's time to migrate, mate, or whatever. I just think it's really funny to seem them so active.

Blogging: Never before have so many people with so little to so say said so much to so few.
Ed

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 09:32:56 PM »

Are you using a python and cleaning the gravel at the same time you are doing your water change??  If so, the shrimp are more them likely running around eating tiny particles that have come to the surface of your substrate and loving every minute of it   happy

mduros

Tanks: 1 55 gallon freshwater tank, down to 2 opalines, 2 bn plecos, 1 betta, 1 bolivian ram, 3 sidthmunkis, 6 adolfoi cories; 1 20 gallon long amphibian tank (taricha granulosa)

So close no matter how far

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 10:11:58 PM »

To add to what Ed asked...  Do you turn the filter off when you drain the tank?  My amanos live in the driftwood, I had 7 of them, I think - not sure if I still have that many or not, the most I see is 5 at a time, but they come out when I turn the filters off to feed the tank or when doing water changes.  I think them may enjoy a little less current than what I have going.
Take care,
Mary.
jimmyd

Tanks: 20 Gallon(high); 8 Gallon Biorb

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 01:13:19 PM »

Good points Ed and Mary. I do syphon the gravel and I do turn off the filter when I syphon, so maybe it's a little bit of both that brings them out.  Thanks kewl

Blogging: Never before have so many people with so little to so say said so much to so few.
mduros

Tanks: 1 55 gallon freshwater tank, down to 2 opalines, 2 bn plecos, 1 betta, 1 bolivian ram, 3 sidthmunkis, 6 adolfoi cories; 1 20 gallon long amphibian tank (taricha granulosa)

So close no matter how far

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 12:54:47 AM »

Kind of off topic...  But I have this one female amano that is HUGE.  Smiley  She's probably a solid 1.5 inches, just LOVES eating live blackworms.  Feel very bad for the worms it's horrible to watch...  uhoh  And she seems to be constantly berried.  I wish I could get a good picture of her that shows just how spectacular she is.  The males are dwarfed in size compared to her.  Never had one like her before.  I wish I had the inclination to attempt to raise them.
Take care,
Mary.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation