Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 08, 2019, 09:07:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: snail with peeling shell  (Read 7239 times)
ramlover22

« on: July 18, 2009, 03:16:36 PM »

I keep an albino mystery snail in my community tank.  He has doubled in size in two months!  He's very active and eats just about anything, however, his shell is slightly peeling in the front.  I noticed you guys use calcium drops?  How will this affect the water parameters?  My tank is a cycled 20 gal. with 1 cory, 2 red danios, 1 blue ram,6 cardinal tetras, and Speedy the snail.  Amm 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5, ph 6.5.  I know the ph is low for keeping snails.  Hopefully the calcium drops will help?  He receives shrimp and algae pellets, zucchini, lettuce and spinach regularly.  Any advice is welcome.
H.Rasbora
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 03:28:08 PM »

The pH is fine for keeping snails and the calcium drops won't affect it.  They will however help your snail with his shell problem.  They can only do good things had I haven't heard of anything going wrong with them as long as they are used properly.
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 02:42:31 AM »

Kent's Liquid Calcium drops won't harm your fish, plants or change your water parameters. It's a must have for tanks with pet snails in them.

You need to get your pH a little higher. You can mix approximately one cup of crushed coral in your substrate or put some in a bag and place it in your filter. You have to get your pH above 7 or Speedy's shell is going to deteriorate and result in an early death for him.

Do NOT use products that come in a bottle that claim to raise your pH. Use coral and no harm will come to your fish or snail.

Hope that Helps

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
ramlover22

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 10:33:45 PM »

Thanks!  I'll get some tomorrow!
ramlover22

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 09:56:05 PM »

So, LFS said calcium drops in a freshwater tank is a big no no.  Any comments?
Debra
Senior Staff

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 10:11:54 PM »

LFS employee is an idiot. lol j/k

Buy Kent's Liquid Calcium drops (no other version of calcium) and add a few drops to your tank every other day and save your snails shell.

I have used it for years and I can assure you that no harm will come to your fish/etc if you follow my advice.

hope that helps

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
ramlover22

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 06:16:55 PM »

Hey Debra,
So I've had about a cup of crushed coral in the tank for 6 days and my pH has changed from 6.5 to 6.6... so that's not enough.  How much can I safely add?  Or should I try something else?  Thanks.
BottomFeeder

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 06:27:28 PM »

How big is the tank?  1 cup sounds like a pretty healthy amount it should have bumped it up more than that.  Where did you put the crushed coral?

I use these tiny little mesh baggies that probably old about 1/3 cup each.  I put them in the filter box and I'll see about a .5 change in pH. 

<a href="http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php/topic, 17829.0.html">
[/url]

55g Tiger Barb community
30g King Tiger Pleco
29g Cockatoo 
20g Convict
20g Calico Pleco
15g Shimp Tank
6g Betta tank
ramlover22

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 10:15:30 PM »

I used one of those mesh bags and dropped it in the tank - not the filter.  It's a 20 gal w/ a Top fin 20 filter, so the filter is not very big. Hmmm...
Debra
Senior Staff

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 02:17:42 AM »

One cup should be enough so now I'm saying hmmmm also. Smiley

As crushed coral breaks down the pH should slowly come up. I have always simply added it to my substrate and it gets a weekly stir as I vac the tank each week.

With it simply being in a bag squeezed together in a clump and sitting on top of the substrate it might take longer for it to work. You might need to take the bag and rub it around in your hands under the water.

Don't try anything else yet. Wait a little longer and see if it rises any more. Because you are starting out with such a low pH you might need to add more but it's way too soon to add more now.

Wait a week, test again and then give us an update.

Hope that Helps

ramlover22

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 11:19:12 PM »

Well, you were right Debra, the crushed coral just took more time to work.  The ph stays between 6.8 - 7.0 and everyone seems fine.  I'm going to just keep an eye on things for a while.  Thanks for all of your help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation