Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 23, 2018, 09:58:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dead Kuhli Loaches  (Read 7273 times)
19Gav89
« on: August 15, 2009, 02:47:06 PM »

I bought 4 kuhli loaches last week to bring the number up to 10 in my tank. They are now all dead as of today, my other 6 are fine and are very active. When I was taking the dead fish out I was inspecting them to see if I could find out what had caused it, there was nothing wrong with the fish, nothing out of the ordinary.

Water stats;

pH= 6.9-7.1 (sometimes drops due to mopani wood, usually no more than 0.2)
Ammonia=0
Nitrite=0
Nitrate=0

Fish are fed daily (mixture of brine shrimp and bloodworm) and not fed on a sunday.
Water change on a sunday 50%, then its vacuumed after water change aswell to remove any debris leftover.
BottomFeeder

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 02:55:24 PM »

Sorry for the loss.  Anything else in the tank? 

Is 0 Nitrate a typo?

<a href="http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php/topic, 17829.0.html">
[/url]

55g Tiger Barb community
30g King Tiger Pleco
29g Cockatoo 
20g Convict
20g Calico Pleco
15g Shimp Tank
6g Betta tank
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 02:57:24 PM »

Your nitrates are zero?

Something is wrong there.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
19Gav89
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 03:06:56 PM »

Ye there is and no nitrAte at 0, my plants which i bought a month ago at about 3 inches tall are now longer than the tank (ABOUT 3 FEET!) so i don't think that is right????

There is:

6 chain loaches (new tank at end of month)
6 kuhli loaches (new tank at end of month)
3 honey gourami
3 sunset gourami
2 armoured shrimp
3 female cockatoo cichlid (home until at breeding stage then new tank will be used)
1 male cockatoo cichlid (home until at breeding stage then new tank will be used)
2 female betta (new tank at end of month)
1 zig zag eel
1 royal pleco
1 butterfly pleco
1 starlight bristlenose pleco
19Gav89
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 03:11:35 PM »

I know that 0 nitrate is a problem but i am not sure what the cause is, does it have something to do with cycling or a problem with the bacteria?

All the plants I have used in the tank have grown huge in a matter of days, i would notice the size increase when I turned the light on every morning, but I moved some of them to my other tank and they stopped growing?

I hope this has nothing to do with my new fish dieing, I don't want anymore incidents.
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 03:27:49 PM »

Ummm, is that a 250 gallon tank or something?

WOW that is a LOT of fish, and a lot of pretty good sized fish to boot!

Were the new fish quarantined?  

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
19Gav89
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 03:49:10 PM »

No its a 125L and I know what everyone is thinking OVERSTOKED!, but like i said there are 14 that will have new tanks in a couple of weeks, also I researched the plecos I have and the SLB and butterfly only get 6 inches and this is not their permanent home either, I am looking into big tanks for a nice display tank downstairs (will be a minimum of 400L) and my eel will be moved too.

No I didn't QT them as the fs I got them from is my most reliable source of fish, usually good condition and good healthy fish, which is why I am more concerned than I probably shoud be.
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 05:03:35 PM »

If you took a perfectly healthy, wonderful fish.. chased it around a tank with a net, stuffed it into a plastic bag where it was exposed to ammonia from its own waste, low oxygen and temperature swings... then put that bag in the hands of someone moving around a pet store who keeps holding it up to look  at it, plunks it on a counter... worse than banging on the glass of a tank I assure you!  Then this bag get put into a vehicle with a gasoline powered engine that will send heinous shock waves through the water.....

The stress is unimaginable.  Its 20-30 min of OHH MY GOD I AM GONNA DIE!!!!!  Then the poor fish gets plopped into unfamiliar surroundings with other fish in it.

It really doesn't matter how healthy the fish is in the store.  The stress of bringing that fish home is enough to make any fish break out in ich or something worse.  Fish in pet stores are transported to that store, put in a tank and then transported to your home.  The transportation of the animals is a stress you really can't imagine.  Please QT your fish, no matter what store they come from.

19Gav89
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 05:25:08 PM »

Ye I see what you mean now, although I always had that thought in the back of my mind I never suspected it to be as extreme as that...
But just to add to what you said, all the fish I get are flown into the country, so add that to the stress.

Do you think that is the cause of the deaths?

Also with the fish I am getting, from loaches to cichlids to plecos, what kind of QT tank size would you recommend, plus what kind of fish to keep in the QT to keep it cycled, I think a common pleco, cheap and easily traded in if it gets too big?
BottomFeeder

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 07:10:13 PM »

What are you using to do the tests?  With all of those fish Nitrates cannot be zero even in a planted tank.  I suspect that there was an ammonia spike at the very least.

<a href="http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php/topic, 17829.0.html">
[/url]

55g Tiger Barb community
30g King Tiger Pleco
29g Cockatoo 
20g Convict
20g Calico Pleco
15g Shimp Tank
6g Betta tank
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 07:23:39 PM »

Put a small filter on your regular tank.  When you need to QT a fish, set up a tank and pull the filter off the regular tank.  There is no need to keep the QT tank set up and running when its not needed, just move the filter back to the main tank.

The QT tank should be a size the fish can properly move and live in.  You do NOT need to base the tank size on the adult size of the fish, but rather on the size they are right now.  The largest QT tank I ever set up was a 55, typically I QT in either a 20 or 30 gallon tank.  However a Rubbermaid bin from Walmart works just fine.

You are using a liquid reagent test kit right?  Take your #2 bottle for nitrates, and slam in into the counter 10 times.  Really hit it hard.  Then set a stove timer while you shake that bottle for a full 2 min.  Seriously shake that bottle until your arm hurts, then switch arms.  Now go retest your nitrates.

19Gav89
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 08:30:58 PM »

Between my 90 and 125 i have; 1 U2 fluval, 2  plus 2 fluval, 1 plus 3 fluval and a small eheim.

I will get a QT tank at the end of this month aswell as the others. I take it I will need a heater constantly running to keep temp the same?

I have read about this problem with the test bottles setting and not making accurate readings, I will knock snuff out of the bottle and post the results tomorrow. I did a 50% water change on the 125 and a 70% on the 90 today so I don't think the readings will be bad. I will leave it a week and post the readings aswell ( before I do my water change). I will take some pics to show you the plants and the tank, if required?
19Gav89
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 11:11:42 AM »

All khuli loaches now missing and another dead one has turned up under the slate, i'm getting really frustrated, I went from 10 odd khuli's to none, I think i am going to blow a fuse and i feel sorry for the member of staff that has to deal with me tomorrow
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 12:47:04 PM »

Your tank is so over stocked I am not surprised.  I hope you get many of those fish rehomed into other tanks soon.

19Gav89
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 03:46:17 PM »

Why is it that only the khuli's are dying then?

As i have already said most will have new tanks at the end of the month (1 week) and also why are all my other fish fine?

Stats are exactly how they should be, Ammonia- 0, Nitrite- 0, pH- 7.0, Nitrate- unknown (not sorted bottle no2)

I posted this topic to see if anyone could tell me why my new khuli's were dying/dead, now I was asking if my other khuli's could have contracted something from them.
Lori D

Tanks: 6 gallon planted, 29 gallon, new 75 gallon

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 04:04:56 PM »

Is it possible that the Zig Zag Eel is killing the Kuhlis?  Info on them says they like to eat worms.  How big were the Khulis?

Holy cow - I just read that that eel can get up to 3 feet in size!  That's a big fish!
blu
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 02:04:31 PM »

khulis are often a bit more sensitive because they are 'scale-less' so if soemthing were wrong in the tank it could affect them first. or if the khulis you brought home were sick then the other khulis would catch it first. i didn't catch how old you test kit is? maybe get a new nitrate test kit and try again..shouldn't be 0. until you get your other tank running, i wouldn't stock that tank anymore.i feel for your loss..i love my khulis. how big is your zig zag right now? did he chase them around and stress them out?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation