Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

June 19, 2018, 05:27:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Preparing for a Clown Pleco  (Read 4064 times)
Dom

« on: September 21, 2009, 08:25:17 AM »

The the whole of my tanks Substrate is gravel, a mixture between small stones and slightly larger stones. I have some plants (only the long thin grass types left as my Bala shark at the broadleafs Sad ).    Tomorow I am picking up a few pieces of driftwood, another big rock and on the hunt for some Sand Substrate so I can Mimic the Clown Pleco's habitat abit better.

One question, what sort of sand is okay ? And i'm only doing one half of my tank with sand, or am I going to end up doing the whole lot ? How do I clean the sand ? Liek am I meant to suck up all the sand into a bucket and rinse it everytime I clean the tank or is there a trick ??

My tanks had some rough times lately, I rescued the thing from a previous owner where the fish had died, had a turtle in it then the turtle died or somthing and yeah I took it...Got it setup, was cycling with the water adding a few fish here and there (tiger barbs) and was going along ok untill a crack developed in the bottom...So out all the water goes for 3 days....fixed filled up still cycling. I'm on week 6 and expecting to see Nitrite in there still, when the water gets tested tomorow. No deaths!!!

Anyway so yeah cut story short i'm setting the tank up for these clown Pleco's coz when i'm done cycling they're going in there!!

Anyone have some suggestions for me in terms or the sand and setup ?? I'm getting a huge bit of driftwood with caves and all in it   jolly1
Roflcopter

Tanks: 75gal African river community

yay fish!

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 03:30:20 PM »

I had a clown pleco, cute little guy.  Didn't see him much.  As far as sand is considered I've seen alot of people suggest pool filter sand I believe but I can't remember how to go about cleaning it prior to adding it to the tank.  I would imagine that just mixing the sand with the other substrate would be fine, I'm not so sure but if I'm wrong I'll be corrected.

Clown plecos like to rasp wood, so the driftwood not only makes your tank look nice but it provides a part of the diet.

What size is the tank? 
Dom

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 11:24:28 PM »

I had a clown pleco, cute little guy.  Didn't see him much.  As far as sand is considered I've seen alot of people suggest pool filter sand I believe but I can't remember how to go about cleaning it prior to adding it to the tank.  I would imagine that just mixing the sand with the other substrate would be fine, I'm not so sure but if I'm wrong I'll be corrected.

Clown plecos like to rasp wood, so the driftwood not only makes your tank look nice but it provides a part of the diet.

What size is the tank? 

Its a 55 Gallon
BottomFeeder

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 11:32:26 PM »

I've had mine in a tank with river rock without any trouble.  The key is to have lots of hiding spots and driftwood.  As Roflcopter mentioned you won't see it much.  I've gone at least two months at times without seeing them.  I think I still have two in my 55g. 

<a href="http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php/topic, 17829.0.html">
[/url]

55g Tiger Barb community
30g King Tiger Pleco
29g Cockatoo 
20g Convict
20g Calico Pleco
15g Shimp Tank
6g Betta tank
Dom

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 01:27:19 AM »

Well, its a good thing I like this little fish but I hope the tiger Barbs won't annoy or pick on him ??

I put the huge bit of caved drift wood in about 20 mins ago, I've pissed off the bala shark coz I put it over there end of the tank and the tigers are facinated with it lmao!! Like these tiger barbs have not stopped swimming through the holes and pecking at it since I put it in, wtf!!

Maybe I need a second smaller piece to compensate, I also put 4 more plants in but the dealer in Adelaide doesn't have the real fine gravel I want. lazyboy

Any ideas on DIU fine sandy gravel ??  I just want it more natural, as my girlfriend put her touch on things in the tank with some damm fluro pebbles mixed with some red and light blue. I hate it!!
lokii_37

Tanks: 100g Community Densely planted

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 08:35:32 AM »

I got all the sand in my tank from the hardware store. One 50lb bag of "play sand" cost me about 5 busks. I rinsed the crap out of it in a bucket to get the dust off them just put it in the tank when I set it up.

As for cleaning it once it is in the tank I just do like I would with gravel. You will always suck up a little sand when you gravel vac but not to much. If you start sucking up to much sand turn the vac to a steep angle and the sand will fall back to the bottom of the tank.

Happy Trails,
Nick
mduros

Tanks: 1 55 gallon freshwater tank, down to 2 opalines, 2 bn plecos, 1 betta, 1 bolivian ram, 3 sidthmunkis, 6 adolfoi cories; 1 20 gallon long amphibian tank (taricha granulosa)

So close no matter how far

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 09:34:39 AM »

As long as you have driftwood and a nice cubby hole or two for him to live in, he'll be fine.  I had to rehome a clown pleco last year due to downsizing tanks and I really loved that little guy, though honestly, I never saw him.  They tend to be very, very shy.  Substrate doesn't really matter too much for them.  I had an eco-complete substrate mixture.  Half and half tanks don't really work because everything gets mixed together during water changes and the actions of bottom feeders.
Take care,
Mary.
BottomFeeder

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 09:49:12 AM »

My clown is in the tank with Tiger Barbs and they don't even notice him.

<a href="http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php/topic, 17829.0.html">
[/url]

55g Tiger Barb community
30g King Tiger Pleco
29g Cockatoo 
20g Convict
20g Calico Pleco
15g Shimp Tank
6g Betta tank
Lori D

Tanks: 6 gallon planted, 29 gallon, new 75 gallon

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 05:00:43 PM »

Ditto on never seeing the little fellas.  I added one to my 80 gal not too long ago, and I have only seen him a few times since.  He lives under a nicely arched piece of driftwood.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation