Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 23, 2014, 11:23:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

Discount Aquarium Supplies at ThatFishPlace.com
News: mchambersn won "The get to know the Corydoras" contest. Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Emperor Tetra--fin nipping  (Read 2041 times)
dana

« on: September 23, 2009, 02:18:42 PM »

Hello all,

Does anyone have any experience with Emperor Tetras (Nematobrycon palmeri).  Right now I have four (3 males, 1 female) in a 55 gallon housed with Congo, Serpae and skirt tetras.  All of my Emperors have ragged fins!  They are the only fish in my tank with ripped fins (and most of my tetras are of the long-finned variety).  While for the most part, my tetra community seems peaceful and happy, I have occasionally noticed the Emperors chasing each other around, showing off, etc, but I have not noticed any other chasing/nipping in my tank with any of the other fish.  I researched the species prior to purchase, they were described as "peaceful, schooling, community fish with occasional harmless territorial displays".  Other than the ragged fins, the Emperors seem healthy.

Right now I am thinking about getting 3 more females to form a more proper school (and possible to keep the boys happier!) but would appreciate some advice first...

My water quality is good, regular testing and weekly water changes, lots of hiding places in the tank, real and fake plants, and and twice a day feedings--alternating flake, freeze dried, and frozen fish food.  Tank has been running about 6 months, I have had the Emperors for about 3 months.

Thanks for any help.

I just want my fish to be happy!
Zach

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 09:19:36 PM »

I have heard other members say that both sharpe and blackskirt tetras are a bit nippy. Congo tetras on the other hand can get some very sharp teeth.

what are the emperor tetras doing most of the time? do they stick together in one spot of do they activly split apart? Also how many of the other tetras do you have?

Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 11:06:26 PM »

Right now I am thinking about getting 3 more females to form a more proper school (and possible to keep the boys happier!) but would appreciate some advice first...

If they are nipping each other then adding more to create a proper school should solve the problem. Always QT new fish.

Welcome to Badmans

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
dana

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 05:41:45 PM »

Thanks for the replies...

For the most part, my Emperors just hang out and do fishy things--not as active as my Congos and Skirts except when eating and beating each other up.  They don't school as closely as my other tetras (4 Serpae, 4 Congo, 5 Skirt).   As mentioned before, none of my other tetras have nipped fins (and they have long fins!)--the Emperors just beat up on each other.

Right now I am thinking about going with Debra's advice and get a few more (females).  Hopefully this will stop the nipping.  I would also like to get another Serpae and Congo to bring schools up to 5 (I also have 3 cories and a BN pleco), but things are getting kinda crowded in my 55G.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation