Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 06, 2019, 05:32:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: African Claw Frog  (Read 3859 times)
bmlucci

« on: September 24, 2009, 06:21:52 PM »

I have an african claw frog in a 1 gallon tank (I know it is to small).  I want to move him to a new tank.  I read somewhere that they don't like the noise of the filter.  Do I go without a filter?  Do I have to cycle this tank before I move him?  The local pet store sold him to me with two goldfish and said they would be fine in the small tank.  I have since learned that this is not the case.  I did not cycle that tank, in fact I put him in the same day I got the tank.  Help!?!?!?
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 08:29:07 PM »

African Clawed Frog Profile - ACF

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile106.html

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
maura
Bionic Woman
Senior Staff

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 11:27:36 AM »

The correct thing to do is to get him out of the 1 gallon and into an appropriately sized tank right away.  I doubt the 1 gallon was cycled either and the toxins will accumulate more rapidly in the 1 gallon than a larger tank.

When you put him in the larger tank, your options are:

Find someone you trust with an established tank and beg some filter media from them to seed the filter of the new tank OR

Get a good water test kit, monitor the water parameters and do frequent (probably daily at first) water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels from killing or sickening the frog.

Then you need to figure out what to do with the goldfish.  They can't stay with the frog, and they'll require a separate, large tank as well.

Another option is to take all three of them back to the store that gave you the terrible advice.  I completely understand that you may not want to do that, and since you're posting here I'm assuming you want to do the right things for your new pets.  However, the difference between a single 1 gallon and the reality of what these creatures need is pretty big.

Good luck, and keep posting back with questions!

"Middle age...a time of life when everything was predictable and yet somehow you failed to see any of it coming."  Richard Russo, That Old Cape Magic
bmlucci

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 02:34:19 PM »

Thanks for the advise.  I sent the goldfish to live with my neice.  I have the frog in a 5.5 gal tank.  How quick do they grow? 
Debra
Senior Staff

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 11:18:11 PM »

If cared for properly it should grow at a steady and somewhat fast paced rate. You need to get the ACF a 10 gallon tank to live in.

I hope you read the ACF profile. It has a lot of excellent information in it on how to properly care for your new pet.

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
bmlucci

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 02:27:02 PM »

I did read the profile and it was very helpful.  This is a great site for both the frog and my new fish I am working with.  I have the frog alone in the 5.5 gal tank and he seems to like this much better than the 1 gal.  He is much more active.  He is currently about the size of a quarter without measuring his legs.  I was not sure if he would outgrow this tank soon  or if I have a little bit of time. 
Debra
Senior Staff

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 03:11:04 PM »

Awww he's a little baby. happy You have time. Keep the water parameters in check, feed him well and he should be fine.

& Welcome To Badmans!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation