Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 16, 2019, 10:32:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hey what are u doing in there?  (Read 3460 times)
wildman021

« on: October 06, 2009, 02:10:34 PM »

About a month ago I found a random snail in my tank, and I have no clue how it got there. So I got rid of the snail. Yesterday I found another one! This one looks tp have the same type of shell, only twice the size. So where are they coming from? Also what should I do with my new little friend?
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 02:35:39 PM »

See if you can ID it by looking at the pictures in the article below.

Pest Snail Article

http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php/topic,1040.0.html 

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
wildman021

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 02:56:31 PM »

Looks like the mts, just more of a darker brown.
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 03:08:06 PM »

If you consider it and the 100 more that will show up your new pets then read this. Smiley http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php?topic=6317.0

If you don't like them then pick them out of the tank when you find them.

They usually appear after the addition of live plants. MTS usually don't "take over" an aquarium like some of the other pest snails do. Or at least they don't as quickly as some of the others. They usually come out at night and climb the sides of the tank.

Hope the Helps & Welcome to Badmans

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
wildman021

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 08:48:10 AM »

Thanks for the advice and the friendly welcome. Last night I spent some time really looking over the gravel and found a couple really small snails, so like u said I'm sure there are a lot more. So the only way to deal with them is to pick them out? I don't really mind them being in there I just don't want them to take over
stategirl28
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 12:34:07 PM »

they are all over the place in my tank. they out competed the pond snail which i am grateful for and i didn't used to see them alot during the day so they never really bothered me. however, since i have been back at school there has been an outbreak, probably due to my mom over feeding. the bottom line is, they wont completely take over unless you over feed; no food, no snails, happy tank! Smiley
Stefanie

1: Goldfish -2:Community -3: Tiger Barbs 4&5:Betta

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 12:04:13 PM »

you can place cucumber or squash slices in the tank (either on a veggie clip or stuck in the gravel with a fork). That will attract any snails in the tank to easy removal...just remove and replace the cucumber/squash a couple of times a day (e.g. every morning and every night).  A few months ago I made the mistake of thinking "ohh... a snail! It's cute! I've leave it in the tank!" Between that and the beginner mistake of too much food... one of my tanks was NOT a pretty sight with the snail explosion. It's under control now, only b/c I do go snail hunting daily.  Smiley
Arrianne
40 gal.

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 02:50:53 PM »

I freaked out with my first infestation, but . . . *shrug*  I like the snails.  kewl  It looks natural to me. I enjoy watching them as much as I enjoy watching the fish.  Over time I've seen conditions in the tank keep their population in check for the most part. 

"He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it." ~ Douglas Adams
Shari
Ringmaster of this Three Ringed Monkey Show!!!
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 07:25:30 PM »

If it is an MTS, I can almost guarantee there are a LOT more Wink

However, good news. MTS are the earthworms of the aquarium...or at least that's what I call them Smiley They live in the gravel/sand and stir it up. They prevent gas pockets and eat extra food. All good things happy Just don't overfeed, as said above, and they are actually no problem.

Fish Pimp  kewl

===========================

"The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse to the trap that get's the cheese"

And I honestly prefer Cheese Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's