Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 28, 2014, 09:21:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

Discount Aquarium Supplies at ThatFishPlace.com
News: mchambersn won "The get to know the Corydoras" contest. Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I use a sponge or paper towels inside my tank to clean side?  (Read 5588 times)
shaylatoby

Tanks: 12g w/ platies & rasboras, 12g w/ cherry barbs, 5g w/ 1 betta

« on: October 30, 2009, 04:55:07 PM »

I was wondering if I could use a new sponge (like the ones you buy at the dollar store or target) to wipe down the inside walls of my aquarium. I don't have algae just some spots of "slime" or something. Or can I use a paper towel to wipe it down? I would of course be putting this into the water w/ the fish so I'm concerned about if its safe. I have an acrylic aquarium (freshwater fish) and the algae brushes I have (for acrylic) are alittle abrasive and I've been using them and it doesn't take off the spots and it is slightly scratching it in places. I thought if I could use a sponge or paper towel it wouldn't be so harsh and I could use enough pressure to wipe off the spots w/o scratching. I use stronger paper towels that I've totally submersed in water to clean other things around the house so I know they won't fall apart like cheaper ones would. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
mushin
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 05:06:48 PM »

as long as there are no perfumes, dyes, chemicals etc.... on the sponge or paper towel, you will be fine.
BottomFeeder

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 09:49:33 PM »

many kitchen sponges sold today have anti-bacterial stuff in there and are labeled "not safe for aquariums" but other than that sure thing. 

I have a bunch of quilt batting on hand, I use it in some of my hob filters.  I use that to wipe the walls since it is cheap and works well.

<a href="http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php/topic, 17829.0.html">
[/url]

55g Tiger Barb community
30g King Tiger Pleco
29g Cockatoo 
20g Convict
20g Calico Pleco
15g Shimp Tank
6g Betta tank
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

Sharing water brings us closer

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 09:59:50 PM »

I use a paper towel,on soft fresh algae.Razor blade on tough spots.
Plastic sink scrubbies work well also.

Waiting will fill
Q
Senior Staff

Tanks: 125 Gallon Amazon Biotope Community: 30 Cardinal Tetras; 8 Silver Hatchets; 10 Panda Cories; 2 Butterfly Ram; 6 Discus 37H Rose Garden: 9 Rosy Tetras

None of us is as smart as all of us.

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 10:15:54 PM »

Definitely NO razor blades in that acrylic tank, Shaylatoby!

Humans are the only creatures able to behave irrationally in the name of reason.
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

Sharing water brings us closer

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 10:24:21 PM »

OOPs missed that,nice catch Q.Stick to paper towel or microfiber cloth.Cant tell you how many sad stories I read about folks wrecking acrylic tanks taking algae off.Maybe the safest bet is get the tank balanced and it will go away by itself.

Waiting will fill
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's