Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

June 25, 2019, 10:05:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 Gallon White Cloud Minnow tank for Office  (Read 4263 times)
XFileslvr
« on: November 05, 2009, 05:09:46 PM »

Hi,

I have been given approval to have an aquarium at my desk.  To do something different, and keep things as simple as possible, I have decided to go with a 10 gallon "cold water" (i.e. no heater) tank with 6-8 white cloud minnows.  I am going to have a piece of driftwood and do want to have lots of plants for a natural healthy environment for the fish and for appearance.  What types of plants would be best for this set up.  I am going to have minimal lighting (1.5-2 wpg max) and don't want to deal with C02 or ferts, so hardy, undemanding plants please.  I have read that Hornwort will grow in unheated tanks - does anyone have actual expierence with this?  I personally like Hornwort but do not want that to be the only plant in the tank. 

I also plan on pulling my HOB Aquaclear 30 out of the closet and putting it on my 20 gallon to seed it for a few weeks so I dont have to deal with a cycling tank at work.  Will moving that filter from a heated tank to an unheated tank be ok, or will that be too much of a shock for the bacteria colony?

Any suggestions are appreciated, you all always come through. Thanks.
mushin
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 05:13:34 PM »

filter should be no prob, just keep the media wet until you get it on your new tank, sounds like a great desk area.
XFileslvr
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 05:17:30 PM »

Thank Shaner - that is one thing off the list.  Yes, it will be enjoyable for everyone in my section.  The managing partner of our law firm is a fellow hobbyist and I told him I would keep it simple - but I wanted more than just a little betta tank. 
mushin
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 05:45:58 PM »

i had a thought,  Smiley how are you going to do water changes?

and as far as plants go, I have a Java Fern that is doing great in the lower light area of my tank, should do well in a 10
XFileslvr
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 05:54:50 PM »

Water changes, what water changes - I said a low profile tank, LOL, no we have a kitchen with a sink on our floor.  I am going to keep a five gallon bucket and 5 1 gallon plastic milk cartons at (under) my desk (its a large cubicle actually) and on my lunch hour on Fridays I am going to do a 50% water change with no fuss.  Just vacuume out 5 gallons into the bucket, pour in my 5 gallons of pre-treated water and empty bucket.  I can use any lunch hour during the week to refill my empty milk cartons, then the replacement water will be the same temp as the room.  And when I am on vacation, I will have my trusty co-workers around to feed the fish - they may have to miss one weekly water change though.

I actually have had no luck with a Java Fern or Moss in my tropical 20 gallon at home - I have banana plants, wisteria, hornwort, money wort, amazon swords and crypts doing really well.  I actually stopped the C02 and have just been adding 1/2 tsp of excel a few times a week, very little algae now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation