Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

October 25, 2014, 10:15:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

Discount Aquarium Supplies at ThatFishPlace.com
News: mchambersn won "The get to know the Corydoras" contest. Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feeding garlic to fish?  (Read 4474 times)
shaylatoby

Tanks: 12g w/ platies & rasboras, 12g w/ cherry barbs, 5g w/ 1 betta

« on: November 24, 2009, 08:08:31 AM »

I have been trying to feed my fish some medicated fish food for internal parasites. She takes the food but spits it out. I have heard of adding garlic to foods to stimulate their appetite. My question is do I use pieces of garlic mixed w/ food or garlic juice? How do I get just garlic juice? Can you buy garlic juice? Do I use fresh garlic or can I use jarred minced garlic? Please let me know, I need to get her to eat the food. Thanks.
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

Sharing water brings us closer

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 09:09:18 AM »

I use fresh garlic when I make homemade food or blanch vegetables.They do sell liquid"garlic guard" I think its a seachem product but I havent used it.

Waiting will fill
Stefanie

1: Goldfish -2:Community -3: Tiger Barbs 4&5:Betta

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 10:17:41 AM »

Garlic juice is from pureed garlic cloves. Puree the garlic, then strain the liquid out.  Or look for a garlic press at a big box store. You can buy the juice in the grocery store or a cooking/kitchen store. The juice is a bit more flavorful than pure garlic.

I had a platy with the same problem....the little guy would NOT eat the medicated food. It's kinda messy, but I put some of the medicated food in a little amount (probably 1/2 teaspoon) of squished garlic (from the press) and rolled the pellets around. My theory was the scent of garlic would be on the food, juice and all. Not the most professional method, but the platy did eat a little bit of the "garlic rolled" pellets. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation