Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 19, 2019, 12:21:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sleeping Yo Yo's  (Read 4715 times)
fish4fun

Tanks: 46 Gallon bowed front community 55 Gallon long convict tank

« on: November 28, 2009, 10:26:43 AM »

I have 2 yo yo loaches in my 46 gallon community tank and I have noticed that they seem to sleep or rest on there side.  It was really quit scary the first time I saw it.  I thought I had lost one of them.  I have an imitation hollow log made of ceramics in the tank as decoration.  It has several holes and caves in it.  My yo yo's will go in these holes and actually fall over or lay on their sides if the tank is dark or after a big meal of brine shrimp.  If I turn the light on in the morning and drop some flakes in they wiggle themselves straight and go back to being one of the most active fish in the tank.  Normal behavior or cause for concern??  Water numbers have been good at 0, 0, 5  with a Ph of 7.2.  Tank is lightly planted.  I do 50% changes every 5 to 6 days.  feed varies from flakes and pellets to live brine and frozen bloodworms.   

Stefanie

1: Goldfish -2:Community -3: Tiger Barbs 4&5:Betta

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 10:38:42 AM »

It's normal.  Mine do it all of the time. It scared the life out of me when I first noticed it, but a little research on this board showed that "playing opossum" is standard for loaches. Just another reason to love 'em! Smiley

Here's a thread you might enjoy reading on the topic, too:
http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php?topic=17765.0
fish4fun

Tanks: 46 Gallon bowed front community 55 Gallon long convict tank

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 10:58:27 AM »

Thanx Stef,  I feel better now.  Looks like I should have done a search with this problem on here first,  this lady had the same question as me!  I really love my yo yo's.  I'd hate to lose them.Mine are very active.  I plan on going up to 3 or 4 after I get my pristellas out of QT.
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 12:39:57 PM »

I have a tilapia that does that on occasion too.  I knew about and never thought twice of it, but the day my husband saw it...... I thought he was going to dive into the tank and start doing CPR!  His panic was so sincere and so genuine, I had no idea he cared so much....

He later told me he wasn't worried about a stupid dead fish, he was worried about my reaction to the "stupid dead fish."  Yeah right, sure pal, you aren't fooling me.  Now go put on a dry shirt!

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
Roflcopter

Tanks: 75gal African river community

yay fish!

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 01:52:05 PM »

lol Karen!  Its always good when your significant other cares.  My gf couldn't care less about my fish but I test her and say "I'm getting rid of the rainbows."

She gets upset when I tell her I'm trading out her favorite fish, lol.
Muffuletta

Tanks: See tank list.

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 02:22:55 AM »

Oh you should see cardinal tetras sleeping.  They look every bit of a dead or dying fish as they lose their color and float along the bottom.  I must say it freaked me out.  But it is kind of cool too when they first wake up you can see through them. 
MRM
Titles, I don't need no stinking title.
Senior Staff

My Boo is getting Bigger!

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 02:59:40 AM »

When I had Yo-Yos I had one that would let me not him and not start thrashing until he broke the surface. I almost wet myself the first time it happened. After the third time I told him I wouldn't pull the net out unless he was fuzzy.

The following statement is true. The previous statement was false.
Aquatot

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Tanks: 2 g shrimp-only, 5 g, 20 g, 55 g, and 150 g

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 09:33:46 AM »

They're little buggers! Mine do this a lot, and on occasion have even completely lost their colouring at the same time. A pale white Yoyo lying on its side under the bogwood is cause for concern for even those of us totally used to their tricks... Then they sit up and look at you as if to say 'What? I'm fine!'

I've had BNs do this too. Suddenly I'll see one lying motionless on its back underneath a piece of wood or something - like it just can't be bothered to hang on anymore. I'll get closer to have a look, fearing the worst, and then they pick themselves up and dash off somewhere! I think they take secret delight in scaring the pants off us.

A fish is for life; not just for Christmas.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dan's our man! Always was, always will be.
Shari
Ringmaster of this Three Ringed Monkey Show!!!
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 05:13:54 PM »

Ah yes....the JOYS of keeping Loaches and Plecos Wink

Fish Pimp  kewl

===========================

"The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse to the trap that get's the cheese"

And I honestly prefer Cheese Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's