Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 23, 2019, 12:59:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: African Spotted Leaf Fish (Ctenopoma acutirostre) Problem  (Read 10187 times)
Duy

« on: December 28, 2009, 09:27:46 PM »

Hi everyone I just got a small African Spotted Leaf Fish (Ctenopoma acutirostre).

He's very small, about 2-3inches in length. I did all the proper procedures of letting his bag sit on the water and slowly adding water into the bag. The whole process lasted about 1 hour and a half. This is the second day that I own him, and he's pretty much hiding inside my ornamental tree trunk. Pretty much out of sight, sometimes I'll see him lurk around exploring but when I make any movements he'll just retreat back to the tree trunk.

I've tried placing some frozen bloodworms cubes under the little crevice that he hides in, and I still see it uneaten.

I got him at Petsmart and they told me that they feed him flakes and bloodworms once a week.

Any help as to luring him out and getting more accustomed to me would help greatly. I'd hate to see my first fish die, especially over fear.
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

Sharing water brings us closer

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 09:36:39 PM »

Its been a long time since I had one but If memory serves the fish mainly ate live foods.Guppies,tubifex(blackworms are a better choice now) and brine shrimp.Some flakes.You need alot of structure in the tank to help him feel secure,plants wood rocks.How big is the tank?
As for the petsmart advice,Id advise you dont look to that person for any more advice.

Waiting will fill
Duy

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 09:39:46 PM »

My tank is a 55 gallon and here is a picture of it:
http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs263.snc1/9019_192920698501_681418501_4034821_5444280_n.jpg

I see him exploring a little more now, but he still retreats when I move about.
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 10:13:43 PM »

Nice looking tank!Good size to start with.How long has it been setup?Hope its cycled!
Id add a background and fill in the plants more.Especially larger leaved plants.

Give him some time to settle in.The smarter a predator is the more wary of his new surroundings they will be.

Waiting will fill
Belinda

Tanks: 90 gallon,2x75 gallon,55 gallon, 2x50 gallon; and shall we say a few more.. always growing always changing.

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 10:19:25 PM »

I saw some last week and was very interested ..but decided to research first. A very interesting fish....

they are shy fish .. mostly nocturnal ..and predatory ..need live foods ..
They grow to about 6 inches and 55 gallon tanks are recommended for them .so you are doing good there..

they like to hide in rocks and plants and when they are hunting for food they will pretend to be a leaf until their food comes by them ..
If a fish can fit in its mouth it might end up dinner..and apparently they have huge mouths...
quite a few people who have them keep guppies as well in a separate tank and keep their guppy population under control by feeding the extras to the leaf fish..

I think that you should add some more decor to the tank. Some more plants especially and maybe some stones for him to lurk about in ...

It usually takes a few days for a fish to settle in ..try watching for him after the lights are out ..

What other fish are in with it???

It took 7 days for God to create this world...
So how long will it take for me to create the perfect tank???
Duy

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 01:57:16 AM »

Thanks, I'm glad you like the tank.

Yea, the tank is cycled. It took me 8 weeks of fishless cycling to get everything perfect.

He's been coming out to explore more and messing around with the bubbles from the bubblestone. His tiny cube of frozen bloodworms is still uneaten, so I am still worried about his well being.

If I were to give him some kind of live food, which do you guys prefer?
Baby guppies or krill?

I need to get something in his stomach asap.

I don't have any other fish in my tank other than him.
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 11:19:07 AM »

The problem with feeders is if you get them at the pet shop you run the risk of introducing disease each time you feed him.That means breeding them yourself,or at leat quarantining them before using.See if any of your lfs sell blackworms,dapnia,brine shrimp,scuds, or the like for starters.

Waiting will fill
screaminleeman

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 05:44:26 PM »

I have had two of them for over a year now.  The larger is 4.5" the smaller is 4".  I have never successfully fed them "live" food.  They are in with an EBJD & Firemouth (Tank Boss) so they are slightly bullied by the Firemouth occasionally.  NONE of these four fish have required live food!

In fact, I placed a tiny rosey red minnow from my feeder quarantine into the tank and it is still there today ~ 3.5".

They ALL love frozen brine shrimp, but the EBJD & Firemouth really get pushy during feeding.  I have found foods that neither the EBJD not Firemouth mess with but the Ctens adore.

Try to take a couple raw shrimp from your next meal (before cooking) and cut them into small pieces.  Wrap separately and freeze.  When ready for feeding, thaw and drop into tank.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised.  I have done the same with Tiapia fillets and catfish nuggets from the supermarket.  Good luck.

I have also had success with flaked beefheart, but again the bruiser tankmates love them also!
Duy

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 03:56:15 PM »

Hey guys, it's been a while but thanks for everyone's help.

I tried feeding my Ctenopoma acutirostre (I named him Zoro) some feeder guppies, but he kinda sucks at hunting and only managed to catch and eat 1 of them. I swapped on over to feeding him some live Ghost Shrimps and I think they were a success because I couldn't find any of the Ghost Shrimps anymore.

I also bought 5 small Albino Corydoras in which Zoro gets along with fine.

However, for the new years I went to Las Vegas with my girlfriend and family and I didn't feed my fish for about a day and a half. When I got back I dropped some sinking food for the Corydoras and I saw Zoro coming out and eating one of them. This gave me the idea that he is willing to accept anything now.

Well I then bought a Paradise Gourami and I started feeding him some flakes. To my surprise Zoro came out and eat the flakes as well. I then put in some freeze-dried bloodworms and while the Paradise Gourami only ate a few of the feeze-dried bloodworms, Zoro ate all of it.

So now my whole predicament has been solved and Zoro happily eats both the flakes and bloodworms. He still stalks it like it's live food though, hahaha.
Belinda

Tanks: 90 gallon,2x75 gallon,55 gallon, 2x50 gallon; and shall we say a few more.. always growing always changing.

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 09:50:22 PM »

That is great news...

It took 7 days for God to create this world...
So how long will it take for me to create the perfect tank???
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation