Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 24, 2019, 08:21:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with albino clawed frogs.....  (Read 2554 times)
TOOTZ

« on: January 10, 2010, 05:31:41 PM »

Hi-- I'm new to this forum, and it seems very difficult to figure out how to submit a question... Or maybe I am just a moron and that's perhaps why I have a question in the first place....!!!  I "won" a pair of "African dwarf frogs" from a local pet store about 6 months ago.  I had them in a 10 gallon tank that was part of "the prize" and I added several other little fish at the same time at the encouragement of the (un)knowledgeable fish guy....! (no other instructions or info was given except that they are "fun" and "make great additions to your aquarium!") All of you experienced "froggers" can figure out what happened next.  After they ate all of the fish, doubled in size, and creeped me out as they bounced around the tank, looking like little pink fetuses--- I found them floating at the top of the tank one day, encased in some sort of clear slimy substance. Gross.  I went back to the fish store, and was basically told "too bad so sad" and that they did not guarantee their "exotic" fish, nor did they have any more to replace them with. Of course, that was the last time we were customers of that store.  At the recommendation of others, we went into a mega local "Animal Jungle" who set us straight---- and showed us some "replacements".  Apparently, we had "albino clawed frogs", and not African dwarf frogs (they had those as well). They should NOT be in tanks with other fish, unless the fish are bigger than tetras, guppies, etc., and even bigger fish may not be safe--!  They can grow to be as big as your fist, and are known for doing "creepy" things, like jumping around and hanging in the tank for no reason. (It is quite possible that I disposed of my previous frogs unnecessarily....) The "clear, slimy stuff" was probably skin that they had shed.  Needless to say, I am now the proud owner of 2 more albino clawed frogs that have both grown to about 4 1/2" and 5 1/2". One is quite plump, the other longer and slenderer, and probably 1 of each gender.  And they are really funny, both in their actions and in the way that they look.  "Frick and Frack" both "dance" quite a bit, and float around, and sometimes even sitting on top of each other.... but lately, the smaller one seems to be "floating" constantly. In fact, unless I literally gently poke him, he will hang at the top corner of the tank perfectly still for most of the day and night.  Is this unusual, or does it mean he may be sick or dying, and eventually when I poke him he will actually be dead??   I am probably paranoid, but I also don't want to keep stressing him out by constantly poking him if he's just "doing his thing" and there isn't anything to be concerned about.  I can't find any real helpful info about it, other than the stuff I had already learned, and read from this, and a couple of other sites.  Any suggestions????  Thanks!!  I'd hate to be a repeat fish murderer.
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 05:55:24 AM »

African Clawed Frog Profile - ACF

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile106.html

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Stella G
Chum Bucket Survivor aka Angry McGrumpypants

Tanks: 10, 20, 40 & 55

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 11:45:36 AM »

Debra's link will give you lots of good info on your frogs.  But......

Is your tank cycled?  Do you have a test kit to measure ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?  Frogs can be very sensitive to water quality.

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"
"Now, go away or I shall taunt you a second time."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation