Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 08, 2019, 09:20:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: shrimp  (Read 2047 times)
parrot
« on: January 11, 2010, 02:18:49 PM »

My husband has really been wanting me to add shrimp to my tanks. I've been concerned about doing this because I have a parrot in one tank who has killed a couple of snails and a gourami in another tank who nibbles on my plants more than anyone else does... I'm concerned about some potential aggression because he has chased my oto cats off plants before.

I'm considering sometime in the future (once I figure out where we have more electrical outlets in my house) setting up my old 5.5 gallon. I would love to have it as a planted/shrimp tank, but it only has one of those "mini bulbs" which probably won't do much for any plant. I'm not sure if I can even get another lighting fixture for it. (Tank is about 12 inches long) From what I understand, the shrimp would also require a sponge filter so they don't get sucked up.

Here are my questions:

1) Is this an okay idea?

2) Possible plants? (maybe anubias or java moss?) I think we're talking about 1/5 WPG of non-flourescent light here.

3. How many shrimp could be safely added in this tank once I get it cycled?

4. How do I clean the tank without sucking up my shrimp in the gravel vac?

5. Do shrimp require heaters? (I"m guessing yes)

And anything else you think I should know...

It's probably going to be MONTHS before I do this... just plotting for now.
Tee
Tired of the manly title

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 07:47:11 PM »

1) Is this an okay idea?

Sure

2) Possible plants? (maybe anubias or java moss?) I think we're talking about 1/5 WPG of non-flourescent light here.

Not good enough.  However, the solution is easy and cheap.  Table lamp fitted with a full spectrum compact fluorescent bulb (the curly one) should solve your problem. With a table lamp, you can achieve a pretty good WPG and could do quite a variety of plants.  

3. How many shrimp could be safely added in this tank once I get it cycled?

If it is planted and I do not mean just one stalk of plant, I would say you could easily accommodate more than 10 but I would add around 6-8 first, which would soon multiply. I tend to think that the shrimps do better with plants.  If it gets too crowded, just move into your other tanks as snacks for the fish.  I am assuming u are refering to small shrimps like cherry shrimps.

4. How do I clean the tank without sucking up my shrimp in the gravel vac?

If a shrimp is healthy, it will not be sucked up.  If you are worried about filters, just put a sponge over the intake tube.

5. Do shrimp require heaters? (I"m guessing yes)

Yes

An alternative solution is this.  Set up the 5g as a planted tank.  Just substrate, plants, with some water movement and heater.  Let the plants grow successfully.  Then add your new filter ... swished some dirty filter pads in the tank and add 3-4 shrimps. Pay close attention to the tank because it is small, you do not want big swings in parameters. The whole idea here is to have a fully functioning natural filter via, you guess it, the plants. The swish method of seeding together with plants and the low bio-loads of the shrimps should ensure no spikes in ammonia or nitrites.  

Also, depending on the number of shrimps, watch how much you feed.  I typically do not feed the shrimps in my tank since they are more than capable of snatching food from my fish, especially, the amano shrimp which will take a sinking disc meant for the BNs and loaches and run away with it.  

I think shrimps is easier than fish once acclimated and that water parameters are stable but thats my  11574
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 07:57:56 PM by Tee » Logged

55g planted - Many endlers, 13 otos, 2 BN + 3 tweens, 1 SAE, 1 sid, 6 rosy loach, 6 badis sp. + 2 babies, 2 amano shrimps.
MRM
Titles, I don't need no stinking title.
Senior Staff

My Boo is getting Bigger!

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 09:39:32 PM »

I agree with Tee. I have done a planted shrimp only tank and it was very peaceful. I have always used HOBS on my shrimp tanks though a sponge filter will be fine. Personally I would do a 10 but a 5 works. My shrimp only tank progression went 2.5, 5, 10, 29 It is amazing how many of the little suckers will fit in a 2.5.

The following statement is true. The previous statement was false.
Muffuletta

Tanks: See tank list.

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 09:45:10 PM »

My ghost shrimp regularly walked around on the filter intake.  I miss the little guys.  But I think I will for a shrimp only tank before getting more. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation