Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

October 31, 2014, 01:08:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

Discount Aquarium Supplies at ThatFishPlace.com
News: mchambersn won "The get to know the Corydoras" contest. Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Common pleco disease  (Read 13641 times)
mystic

« on: March 26, 2010, 03:35:31 PM »

I have a common pleco that has large white spots on his side. The white spot is the of a dime and looks like it is down to the skin. Kinda looks like that spot was shaved. He has a couple smaller ones also.

My fish is about 11-12 inches long, 4 years old. The tank is a 55 gallon with 5 angel fish and a baby pleco. I have an underground filter with 2 power heads. I clean the tank every 2 months by removing 25% of the water.

I have ruled out ick by looking at the other fish and these white spots are huge.

No swimming, eating or breathing problems noted. This is the first time I have seen this type of condition and I am not sure how or what to treat it with.
mystic

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 04:36:53 PM »

Here is a picture of spots in question.

* pleco 009.JPG (263.88 KB, 2243x520 - viewed 2245 times.)
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

Sharing water brings us closer

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 06:26:37 PM »

Odd I saw something similar on one of my synodontis.It went away by itself and the fish is still with me today.I asked about it on a few boards at the time and a few others had seen the same thing.Wrote it off as an injury even though it didnt look like one.

Waiting will fill
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 125 community, 450 pacu community, 180 community, 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 07:04:05 AM »

Mystic,
   You have a fish with NO immune system.  It has no ability to fight off any illnesses that come its way.  You REALLY need to increase the frequency of your water changes a LOT.  To take your fish from the water its in, to clean water right now will kill it.  So we need to start slowly.  In the end, you need to aim for changing 50% of the tank water each week, sometimes 2x a week.

Right now, lets start by changing out 10% a day for a week.  In a 55 gallon tank, that is just one bucket.  Please change 1 bucket a day for a week, next week, we will have you change 2 buckets a day.

The next big problem you are going to have is that common plecos grow to be 18-24" long.  Your tank is only 12 inches wide.  Your pleco need to go into a tank that is more than double toe size its currently in.

Health problems in a fish in that water that is changed as infrequently as yours is far more normal than strange.  Do you have a test kit?  If not please buy a liquid reagent test kit to measure the nitrates.  You will find that they are actually too high to measure right now.  Nitrate over 65ppm start to shut down the immune system.  Elevated nitrates also prevent the blood from carrying oxygen.  After a week of 10% changes the nitrates will probably be low enough to measure, but they will still be scary high.  Your goal really should be to prevent the nitrates from ever going over 20ppm. 

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
mystic

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 01:32:50 AM »

I checked the nitrate levels and currently they are at 60 ppm. I will be doing a water change tomorrow morning.
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 125 community, 450 pacu community, 180 community, 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 07:26:51 AM »

Hos dd you measure them?  Dip stick or lquid reagent test?

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
mystic

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 11:00:30 AM »

I use the API Nitrate test kit, which uses the water in a test tube.
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 12:11:53 PM »

Mystic,

Don't take this the wrong way, but I am questioning your number. I am trying to help you, honest.

The #2 reagent in the nitrate kit is a thick heavy liquid, almost a gel.  It contains a solid that must be suspended in that gel inorder for the test to give accurate results.  If that solid is not suspended, you get a false low.  Take your #2 reagent and shake it violently for 3+ min.  Slam it into the table and counter tops a few times.... shake it like you want to kill it.

The #1 bottle needs a good shake too, but not like the #2 bottle.

You really need to do that violent shake of the bottle about every 2 months to keep your kit accurate.

Give the kit a shake and retest, see if the values change any.

mystic

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 04:21:39 PM »

I did like you stated and the nitrate level went up to 100ppm. I will continue to do the gradual water changes until it gets down to normal.

The spots on my pleco have disappeared but I would still like to know what it was.

Also, I got some driftwood since I read in here that pleco like it but I have soaked it for 3 days and it still float, any ideas on how long it takes to sink or anyway to anchor it to the bottom of my tank?

Besides cucumber and squash, which it seasonal here, and algae wafers , what other types of vegetables do the pleco like to eat?
pokey6

Tanks: 6 g, 14g, 36g, 46g,75g, 80g

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 04:26:02 PM »

Mine love baby spinach leaves. I freeze them fresh and when they thaw they are nice and soft for them.
andywoolloo

Tanks: 10, 40, 50 and two 75 gals

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 04:50:48 PM »

mine eats the following, not nuked or blanched or anything:

romaine lettuce leaves on a veggie clip

the following food gets weighted down on a stainless steele implement:

mushroom
mango (cut around the the big middle pitt)
papaya (no seeds)
zuchinni cut about 3 inches long then split in half, mine loves the inside and the skin
sweet bell pepper strips (mine only likes the red, orange amd yellow, no seeds please)
honeydew melon cut about an inch to an inch and a half away from the rind, put in weighted down rind and meat
watermelon (same as honeydew)
cantelope (same as honeydew)

these are his favs, he gets fruit and veg every day after lights out and in the mid day he gets his algae wafers and whatever he gets from the syno food i feed. various sinking pellets of a carnivore nature.  Twice a week that tank gets defrosted Hikari also and he loves that. Bloodworms, shrimp, krill, tubifex,  etc

i change 50% water in his tank every  4 days.  that tanks NA is at 5-10 ppm
at all times. I am , have been saving for a custom tank, he is in a 75 now.

I have only had one small piece of wood that would never sink not matter how much I soaked it.  I just didn't use it and got some more.   Mine has lots of driftwood and huge caves and huge pvs abs pipe to hide in . and over head plants, fake but pretty. 

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 04:57:22 PM by andywoolloo » Logged
mystic

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 06:20:29 PM »

Thank you for the feeding tips.

I have fed my fish frozen blood worms since my Angel fish loves them. Mine prefer the red mosquito larvae over the white.

I never knew they like that many different fruits and vegetables.

I did a water change and my nitrate reading is 80ppm and ammonia reading is .25ppm. 

I will do another water change tomorrow and record the readings.
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 06:35:11 PM »

You want to bring the nitrates down slow.  Once they are low, start 50% water changes, but they are too high for that now.  Keep it at 10-15% for now.

silviaf

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 08:24:49 AM »

I have a common pleco that has large white spots on his side. The white spot is the of a dime and looks like it is down to the skin. Kinda looks like that spot was shaved. He has a couple smaller ones also.

My fish is about 11-12 inches long, 4 years old. The tank is a 55 gallon with 5 angel fish and a baby pleco. I have an underground filter with 2 power heads. I clean the tank every 2 months by removing 25% of the water.

I have ruled out ick by looking at the other fish and these white spots are huge.

No swimming, eating or breathing problems noted. This is the first time I have seen this type of condition and I am not sure how or what to treat it with.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation