Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 22, 2014, 09:02:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

Discount Aquarium Supplies at ThatFishPlace.com
News: mchambersn won "The get to know the Corydoras" contest. Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Egg shells to increase calcium levels?  (Read 6025 times)
Bonddouble08

« on: April 30, 2010, 12:52:33 AM »

Well the title kind of says it all, but yeah I was looking for a natural way to keep a low level of calcium in my fish tank for my mystery and red ramshorn snails. I've heard using crushed coral and/or sea shells but have also read you can use egg shells? Is this true? And I know the sea shells degrade very very very slowly in freshwater to almost nill effect and using anything free and natural is always a plus thats why I ask about the egg shells.

Thanks!
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 04:06:57 AM »

Using crushed coral will add calcium naturally.

Crushed egg shells - They do add calcium but very little. After adding crushed egg shells to your aquarium you might find it hard to remove the shells or if they are crushed to a fine powder then when you vac your tank you remove it.

My experience was not a good one. I couldn't get the crushed mess out of my tank and it looked bad. I also do not believe the snails appreciated me putting something in the tank that poked them.

Crushed to a fine powder: you lose it.
Not crushed enough: it pokes the snails/fish.

I am of the opinion that it's not worth the trouble. Crushed coral works excellent.

Hope that Helps

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Spuds
Solanum tuberosum

Tanks: 20gal- Endlers, Shrimp, betta 35gl- African clawed frog, RTS

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 05:30:11 AM »

Well you can put the egg shell in tights or a sock and place it in ur filter... easy to remove. But frm debra's info seems ur better off using crushed coral.

Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 125 community, 450 pacu community, 180 community, 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 07:51:00 AM »

Crushed coral has a hand full of benefits.  Raises the KH stabilizes the pH, add to dissolved Ca levels.....

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
Bonddouble08

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 09:18:32 AM »

Alright well I'll probably get some crushed coral once I have the time, I just remember reading the eggs thing somewhere and my emperor 400 filter comes with these empty plastic cartridges which are nice to put anything into (like crushed eggs shells or coral). How much crushed coral is now the question? And when do the benefits of crushed coral wear out? does it just dissolve away and you replace with new? 
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

Sharing water brings us closer

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 10:46:26 AM »

As long as its there its working.lasts for longer than anyone I know has reported.years?decades?centuries maybe?

Waiting will fill
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 125 community, 450 pacu community, 180 community, 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 12:00:58 PM »

I put 10 Lbs into a 210 gallon tank with wonderful results.  That comes out to 0.05 Lbs per gallon.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
Bonddouble08

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 03:06:53 PM »

Thanks karen Wink I'll prob go get a  .5lb bag tomorrow if they sell them that small lol.

Well I still have I think its seachem ph buffer (at 7ph) which raises KH and removes chlorine and chloramines (spelling?) so I will probably use the rest of that first and then switch to coral and then just but a dechloronator.

Thanks for all the input everyone!
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 12:58:50 AM »

Crushed coral: One cup per 25 gallons of water is usually all you need.

As Karen stated above it raises the KH and stabilizes the pH. Snails tend to suck the life out of water. It's important to do what you can to stabilize the tank water and not have too many snails in one tank.

Hope that Helps

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation