Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 06, 2019, 04:09:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shrimps  (Read 1892 times)
Ruthy
Veterinarian

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: May 05, 2010, 06:07:41 AM »

Wondering what sorts of shrimp you reccommend for my 48litre (10gal) betta tank.
I quite like the look of yellow shrimp, would go for the cherry shrimp but I have a red gravel substrate, so they'll blend in too much with it lol.
I'm going for ease of care and breeding of them. My water is slightly acidic for don't really want one that prefer alkaline waters.
I like the amano shrimp, but read that they can be difficult to breed properly?

Also, how many could I put in there?
My aim with them is so I don't have to put a towel over my tank during the day to prevent loads of algae on the glass and as a food source for the betta fry I plan on getting. Hence I need ones with easy breeding Smiley

Thanks in advance Smiley
MRM
Titles, I don't need no stinking title.
Senior Staff

My Boo is getting Bigger!

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 11:49:46 AM »

For ease of breeding I would go with the red cherries. The only change would be to add a bag of crushed coral to the tank. The calcium helps with molting. You could also just get liquid calcium and dose the tank. Don't worry about the color of the gravel they will be all over. The biggest thing is having plants to crawl on and feeding them algea wafers three or four times a week.

Amano shrimp are easy to breed it is getting baby shrimp that is the pain. Amanos go through a larval phase where they need brackish water. THat is the advantage with the neocardia species THe female carries the eggs until the babies are fully formed then drops little baby shrimp.

As for getting the cherries check the trading post. I seem to remember another of our UK members selling cherries.

The following statement is true. The previous statement was false.
Ruthy
Veterinarian

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 12:01:49 PM »

Thank you MRM Smiley
I could easily order some liquid calcium for the tank. Glad the colour wouldn't matter, but there is quite a fair bit of plants in the tank and planning on buying a few more to throw in there.
I just want the baby shrimp small enough for the fry to eat. But have read about the amano needing brackish water when as larvae, that's why I assumed they'd be more difficult lol
Thanks again Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's