Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 15, 2019, 05:43:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Assassin Snail Compatibility...  (Read 3706 times)
gascap88

« on: June 14, 2010, 09:04:41 PM »

I do realize that this is a pretty dumb question but seeing how most of mine are I m going to go ahead and ask it anyway. Would it be OK to mix my Mystery Snail with my Assassin Snails? The mystery snail is about 6-7 times bigger.
Lizon

Tanks: 10 gallon: Betta, Harlequin Rasbora 20 Gallon, Black Phantom Tetra, Kuhli Loaches, Ghost shrimp, Panda corys, emerald corys

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 09:15:46 PM »

From what I read so far they say that they attack smaller snails. But I came across a forum where a girl took a picture of an Assassin Snail trying to make a lunch out of her Mystery Snail, she took it out just in time but to answer your question, I wouldn't risk it.

The ability to love and be loved is the greatest gift.
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 01:52:52 AM »

Ditto. Not worth the risk.

Once the pest snails are gone then they will eat the pet snails. Some will say that this is not so, but it makes perfect sense to me. I was reading on another site and that's exactly what happened to one of the members mystery snails. Sad

Better to be safe. IMO
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 10:45:03 PM by Debra » Logged

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
gascap88

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 06:36:48 AM »

Thanks. That would not be good so I will keep them separated. I appreciate it!
lokii_37

Tanks: 100g Community Densely planted

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 07:33:43 AM »

i have about 30 assassin snails in my 100g with a nerite and a spixy. there have been no ramshorns in the tank for months. the assassins never go near the big snails. i do not think it will be a problem at all to keep the 2 types togather

Happy Trails,
Nick
Lizon

Tanks: 10 gallon: Betta, Harlequin Rasbora 20 Gallon, Black Phantom Tetra, Kuhli Loaches, Ghost shrimp, Panda corys, emerald corys

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 10:06:36 AM »

There is always a chance that they could though, especially if they are hungry enough. I wouldn't put the mystery snail in jeopardy.

The ability to love and be loved is the greatest gift.
mduros

Tanks: 1 55 gallon freshwater tank, down to 2 opalines, 2 bn plecos, 1 betta, 1 bolivian ram, 3 sidthmunkis, 6 adolfoi cories; 1 20 gallon long amphibian tank (taricha granulosa)

So close no matter how far

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 11:12:26 PM »

I have assassins doing very well controlling my spixi population. Part of the reason I go them. Spixis only get to be 1 - 1.5 inches, but the assassins do take them down. This is what makes me wonder if they have some sort of paralytic or poison or something. Anyhow, I would not try them with applesnails.

Having said that I finally broke down and put some assassins in my 55 gallon tank and my sidthmunkis and horseface loaches have left them alone thus far. But I think all of my fish are way too spoiled by Ed's foods and live blackworms to bother with snails. Period. Smiley
Take care,
Mary.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation