Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 08, 2019, 10:07:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spixi Snail  (Read 2053 times)
SubMariner0805

Tanks: 10 Gallon Planted: 1 Dwarf Gourami, 8 Amano Shrimp, 6 Neon Tetras; 55 Gallon- 4 Red Belly Pirahna 2.5 Gallon- 1 Male Betta; 55 Gallon- Empty 36 Gallon Bow- Empty

« on: July 24, 2010, 08:19:49 PM »

Just throwin this out to all you invert lovers, what do you think of Spixi Snails?  Any tips on care, or experiences with them.  I just got one from my lfs and I love the shell pattern.
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

Sharing water brings us closer

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 09:14:53 PM »

Pretty hardy.Mine eat primarily what the fish eat.I have hard water so I have no shell issues.See the keeping happy snails sticky,lots of good info
http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php?topic=6317.0

Waiting will fill
mduros

Tanks: 1 55 gallon freshwater tank, down to 2 opalines, 2 bn plecos, 1 betta, 1 bolivian ram, 3 sidthmunkis, 6 adolfoi cories; 1 20 gallon long amphibian tank (taricha granulosa)

So close no matter how far

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 10:59:52 AM »

Spixis are beautiful, but they can VERY easily become out of hand in a tank. So if you get anymore please be diligent in removing the eggs from the tank. They are prolific spawners and can become as much of a nuisance as mts and pond snails and will annihilate any plants. Calcium is so leached from the water of the tank that I have spixis in due to the overpopulation of snails that it's been a long time since I've had a spixi with a nice shell. Luckily my acquisition of assassin snails has finally helped me curtail the spixi problem that I had.

But yes, when they are controlled they are absolutely gorgeous. Good luck with the little guy.
Take care,
Mary.
SubMariner0805

Tanks: 10 Gallon Planted: 1 Dwarf Gourami, 8 Amano Shrimp, 6 Neon Tetras; 55 Gallon- 4 Red Belly Pirahna 2.5 Gallon- 1 Male Betta; 55 Gallon- Empty 36 Gallon Bow- Empty

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 06:09:22 PM »

I just bought one because I was afraid of them reproducing.  I love the shell and ill add the liquid calcium to the water.  I do have a fairly planted 10 gallon tank, do you think the one snail will destroy the plants? The plants I have are amazon sword, brazil sword, 2 little java ferns, ulvaceous bulb, red lily bulb, 2 anubias nana, anacharis, some java moss on a piece of drift, and a crypt plug. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation