Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 22, 2019, 06:28:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Froggie, my ADF  (Read 4357 times)
mduros

Tanks: 1 55 gallon freshwater tank, down to 2 opalines, 2 bn plecos, 1 betta, 1 bolivian ram, 3 sidthmunkis, 6 adolfoi cories; 1 20 gallon long amphibian tank (taricha granulosa)

So close no matter how far

« on: July 24, 2010, 08:29:02 AM »

Is dying of old age. It's very, very sad to watch. I want to shut off the tank light so I don't have to watch. I cannot euthanize a fish, I'm certainly not going to euthanize Froggie. He had a good long life... Sad
Take care,
Mary.
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 08:35:33 AM »

Sorry, Mary  Sad

When in doubt, do a water change.
Belinda

Tanks: 90 gallon,2x75 gallon,55 gallon, 2x50 gallon; and shall we say a few more.. always growing always changing.

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 09:10:18 AM »

So Sorry Mary .. Sad
Go ahead and shut the lights off and walk away from the tank if you want to..((Hugs))

If you feel you have to do something just place him in s smaller container ( 5 gallon tank or similar) until his time comes..

It took 7 days for God to create this world...
So how long will it take for me to create the perfect tank???
mduros

Tanks: 1 55 gallon freshwater tank, down to 2 opalines, 2 bn plecos, 1 betta, 1 bolivian ram, 3 sidthmunkis, 6 adolfoi cories; 1 20 gallon long amphibian tank (taricha granulosa)

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 11:39:40 AM »

I thought about putting him in a separate tank, but the 55 gallon has been his home for 5 years. I want him to pass this world in his home.
Take care,
Mary.
Pat Mary

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 02:14:45 PM »

Oh, Mary  Sad

Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 06:07:54 PM »

I'm sorry Mary. Sad  Lights off and he will pass just as he would in nature. 

xx

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
mduros

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 11:15:17 AM »

I'm sorry, I've been in a bad place and haven't visited here in several days. Yes, Froggie is gone. He will be buried in my Dad's yard in the next couple of weeks.

I have been absolutely sick over my pets lately. Froggie dying. And our hamster is very sick. The vet said that it is cancer or something terminal like that and there is nothing that can be done. But she doesn't seem to be in any pain so he did not recommend euthanizing her. She appears to have stopped eating in the past day or two though and her hind quarters are so swollen now that she looks like a male. She's missing all of her hair on her lower half as well. I don't think she's going to be with us much longer. Poor baby.

And just when I was thinking about letting my fish tank go, it's so empty and so depressing to look at, my beloved adolfoi cories have laid eggs. I just noticed the eggs this morning. The plants I have left in the tank are full of them. I am just going to leave them this time. The other time they spawned I tried hatching the eggs separately but there wasn't enough circulation and they fungused up. I'm not too worried about predation though Jellybelly could do some real damage to the fry I guess. I swear that fish eats like it hasn't been fed for weeks every night. A much more aggressive eater than Yellowbelly was. It's pretty amusing to watch actually.
Take care,
Mary.

Pat Mary

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 11:38:49 AM »

So sorry, Mary.  The worst part of having pets is this part.  You have been a good mom to them, though.  No one can ask for more.

Isn't it strange how when something sad happens, something wonderful happens (like egg laying).  Life does go on.  happy

mduros

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 12:07:12 PM »

No kidding Pat Mary. Luckily all of the cats seem to be healthy. Buster's getting up there in years, but boy at 16 he still has non-stop energy when it comes to playing. He wears us out.

By the way, I missed mentioning that Jellybelly is a bolivian ram that I broke down and brought home several weeks ago. I really missed having one after Yellowbelly passed away.

And yes, life does go on. I cannot tell you my shock and amazement when I saw those eggs and the number of them. I've had those 6 cories for 3 years now I think, this is only the second time I have seen any eggs from them. I still have the QT tank set up that Jellybelly was in. Maybe I'll seed it with some establish filter media and put some of the plants in there. I REALLY want more of those cories, but they are so hard to find and so expensive when they are available.
Take care,
Mary.
PuntiusFanaticoma
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 03:00:27 AM »

You broke down a bolivian ram? Howdya do that?  Wink
Wheels on the Bus
Hamster- the other white meat.

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 09:14:23 AM »

Keep an eye on the hamster swelling, dear. That's a tumor. Sometimes they rupture. At that point, the hamster will need to be euthanized. I'm sorry - I speak from personal experience with a rupturing hamster tumor. If the animal can't move/walk/ambulate, have it euthanized so it doesn't suffer from the impending UTI. I had mine for about a month after its diagnosis, and then I had to take her back and have her euthanized. I'm sorry for your losses, dear. Hang in there.

mduros

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 10:23:00 AM »

Thanks Bets. Funny that the vet didn't tell us that. He's our regular vet that dabbles with rodents it sounds like. No one else at the office does the little guys and Dr. Kaz is on vacation right now. He was really worried about her and actually called me for three nights after the appointment to check up on her. Oddly, I think she stopped eating because the bag of food was down to alot of stuff she doesn't care for. I finally bought some apples and cut one up this morning for myself and enticed her out with a tiny hampster sized piece. Oh my goodness did she eat that and then started looking around for more food. I opened a bag of fresh food and filled her bowl and she went right to it stuffing her pouches. Then she even ran in her wheel for a couple of turns. It was good to see her so "happy." Anyhow, there is an exotics vet I've taken newts to that I can get her to if I think she needs to be euthanized before Dr. Kaz comes back. But after seeing her this morning I wonder if the dark emotional place I'm in right now cast a unrealistically bad light on how she is actually doing right now.
Take care,
Mary.
Belinda

Tanks: 90 gallon,2x75 gallon,55 gallon, 2x50 gallon; and shall we say a few more.. always growing always changing.

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 08:55:18 PM »

I'm sorry to hear that Froggy is gone and that your hamster is not doing well either.
Rodents are so cute but unfortunately only short lived little things..
I sometimes think that we are only supposed to enjoy short moments with certain creatures; just think of the joy she had with that apple!!

Congrats on the eggs Mary!!
I really hope that you do get some little ones from this batch!!
You do need something to lift your spirits..
Set up that ten gallon inside the larger tank's stand  if your stand is one with doors....a small internal filter with a tiny piece of sponge on the intake for fry..
It will be warmer and darker for hatching and being inside the cabinet ..quieter..you could easily get away with just a little night light for inside the cabinet.

You will have to post a pic of that new Ram ..L.O.L. Jellybelly is a cute name..are you thinking of a companion for it??

It took 7 days for God to create this world...
So how long will it take for me to create the perfect tank???
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation