Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

February 20, 2019, 01:23:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 20g Long lighting question  (Read 2470 times)
Kyouraku Shunsui

« on: July 30, 2010, 10:30:56 PM »

I currently have a 24 inch tube power-glow t8 20 watts 60 lux 18,000k. Is this enough light for banana plant and moss ball? How often should I run it?

Thanks in advance.
lokii_37

Tanks: 100g Community Densely planted

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 07:19:56 AM »

it might be enough for the moss ball. from what i have heard banana plants like a little more light. you are about 1WPG. however the 18,000K bulb is not really the right color spectrum for good plant growth, it is more for reef lighting than planted tank lighting. i would recommend a new bulb try to find one with a 6700K color temperature. once you get a new bulb give the moss balls and banana plant a try

Happy Trails,
Nick
Kyouraku Shunsui

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 11:25:01 PM »

Thanks for such a speedy reply. I took back the bulb and purchased a 6700. I also took another t8 light and placed on top(glass top).  Jacks employee tried to tell me the 18k is better because it has such a high range of light output. I went in there looking for 6.7k and came out with 18k.

I currently have three small pieces of java fern, one small banana plant and two moss balls. I get a good amount of light in my from room, but it's not direct. How should I run the lights? Today I ran them from 9am-830pm. 830 pm-9am no light. Is this ok?

My next question is concerning adding fertilizer to the tank. I really didn't want to add it if it can be helped. Will these few live plants grow without adding anything to the water?

I also saw a 24" t5 48 watt light strip on ebay for about 46 buck including shipping. Does that price sound about right? Here are the specs on it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290455929020&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en
lokii_37

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 07:44:33 AM »

the ebay item looks like a good deal but make sure to get the planted tank version. the link is for a marine version. the marine version would be enopugh like but the wrong color spectrum again.

IMO having a 10-12 hour photoperiod is good for a tank with low lighting. i would just keep an eye out for algea, if it starts showing up reduce the photoperiod a little. As for ferts dont worry about them with your lighting as low as it is i would not think you would have a lot of nutrient uptake from the plants. what is created by the fish should be ok.

Happy Trails,
Nick
Kyouraku Shunsui

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 10:30:20 AM »

thanks for the tip. i'll make sure it's not marine. btw, i had another light strip laying around so i put a 17 watt 6700 spectrum bulb in it and added it to the 20 long. i came in and checked on them yesterday and the temp shot up from 83 to 86. i unplugged the heater and got temp down to 84. will the t5 heat the water as much?
lokii_37

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 07:56:33 AM »

2 degrees on a 20g seems like a lot for a 17w bulb but anything is possible i guess. is there a reason you keep you water temp so high? if it is real hot during the day you could try running your lights at night to help with the temp. also if the tank is totally covered the temp will stay up longer

Happy Trails,
Nick
Kyouraku Shunsui

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 10:41:17 AM »

im sorry i wasn't specific. i already have a 20w t8 and i added an extra 17w strip so my total is 37w. i turned them on again this morning and shut the 17w off because temp went up to 85, and it's not even noon yet!  it's supposed yo get to 97 here in cincy today.  i guess i'll just have  to run them at night until i get the t5. i wanted to keep the temp at 82 for the blue rams.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation