Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 15, 2019, 05:42:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: apple snails..pros & cons  (Read 3760 times)
Bree

Tanks: 55 gallon

« on: August 27, 2010, 11:06:04 AM »

I'm wondering how good(or bad) of an experience people have had in keeping these guys.I have read up on them & the pros & cons have me undecided.
I also have pretty acidic water so I would be concerned about its shell despite making sure it would have enough calcium.
Bree

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 11:23:50 AM »

I also read about them carrying parasites and wonder how big of a concern this is.It sounds like a big deal to me but not too many people seem very concerned.
Spuds
Solanum tuberosum

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 10gal- Shrimp, betta, otto

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 12:16:22 PM »

hey.

It really depends on what type of apple snail you get... A Pomacea canaliculata will happily eat all your plants. A Pomacea Bridgessii is more suited to a planted tank. (I hope i didn't mix them up)

I have kept both... only diff is besides eating plants is the canaliclata grows bigger...

I don't really think there is a downside to them if you have the correct setup... don't mix them with cichlids or loaches. Kuhli loaches are fine. What size tank and what fish have you got? some fish can be nippy around apple snails...

Like anything you should quarantine it before adding it to tank... anything can carry parasites or a disease, I don't think there is a higher risk with snails...

I wouldnt put one in acidic water, your right about the shell eroding even with proper calcium.... When i first got one when i was younger my water was acidic and the shell eroded after a while... Adding some crushed coral would help.. i think its around 1kg of coral per 40L which results in a PH of around 7.6 (best way is to place it in mesh in your filter).

Sometimes they stay closed up in there shell for a while... I never know if its dead or alive.. just check if its doesnt move for a few days, they can foul up the water pretty quickly.

Id always get two.... the egg clutches look very cool!!!

Bree

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 04:57:49 PM »

Thanks for your input.I think they are not for me...though they sure look cute eating algae off tanks.My water isn't suitable  and I do have 2 angelfish.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation