Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 22, 2019, 08:38:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adding fish  (Read 1242 times)
Telcomvic

Tanks: 20 gal high

« on: September 07, 2010, 09:37:13 PM »

From what I've been reading--it's best to add fish a few at a time so the biofilter can accomodate the additons to the tank. To me--a few is 3. But wanting to go slow--I purchased 2 Lemon Tetras to add to my tank and if the water parameters were OK in the next weekend check--would buy 3 more (recommended to have 5-6 in a school on various websites). Well, the LFS is now sold out of Lemon Tetras! And they are going on vacation for a week starting 9-12 with no new shipments till they return. The Lemons are kind of sorta swimming around with my 5 Glofish. But I don't want them to get too stressed out with being the only 2. I can go further afield and see if any other pet store has Lemon Tetras depending on their hours and my work schedule. What is the timeframe you use to add to a school?

20 gal high with 8 Glofish, 3 Pristella Tetras, 3 Lemon Tetras and 2 Aspidoras.
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 10:07:51 PM »

It is true that only a few fish should be added at once because of the bacteria colony.  But what you should do is quarantine any new fish to be sure that no disease is transferred between the new fish and the old.  When you buy new fish, they are extremely stressed and can come down with different illnesses in their weakened state.  Then, they could transfer that to your old fish.  So, for now, because you have already added some lemons to your tank. you should pay very close attention to that tank for the next month or so.  If you want to buy more when the shopkeeper gets home from vacation, that's fine but put them into a different tank and watch them too.  If anyone comes down with anything, it is much easier to treat only the sick ones rather than the whole tankful of fish.  Then, when you are sure that there is no illness, you can put the new ones into your main tank.

When in doubt, do a water change.
Telcomvic

Tanks: 20 gal high

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 10:37:43 PM »

Thank you Pat Mary. I must have missed this recommedation in the threads. MY LFS says to add the fish and water from 2 water additions and floating the bag in my tank to the main tank  and another place online says to add the fish from the bag after netting them from 2 watter addtions and floating them in the tank and not add the LFS water to my tank. I chose the latter this time--although I have done the former before reading that recommendation. I don't know where I would keep a quaranteen tank at this point. (800 sq ft house.) I will keep an eye on the newcomers and check back with the LFS to see if they have new Lemons.

20 gal high with 8 Glofish, 3 Pristella Tetras, 3 Lemon Tetras and 2 Aspidoras.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation