Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 17, 2017, 06:02:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The cause of Stunted fish?  (Read 23702 times)
dang

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2010, 04:36:05 PM »

Karen, I don't quite understand Knifegill's argument.  Is he trying to say that poor water quality is the only cause of stunting?
  If so, I beg to differ.  A fish confined like that and unable to move about naturally would not develop normally in my opinion.  For physical as well as psychological reasons.
Lizon

Tanks: 10 gallon: Betta, Harlequin Rasbora 20 Gallon, Black Phantom Tetra, Kuhli Loaches, Ghost shrimp, Panda corys, emerald corys

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »

A curious spin on that. Cats and dogs confined in small quarters, even humans for the sake of comparison can suffer extremely pschologically, like going mad. Can a fish do the same? Just go mad?

I know they can't reason like humans. Would they adapt or go mad?

The ability to love and be loved is the greatest gift.
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2010, 12:04:58 AM »

My answer is still that they would die.

All living things need to be provided with the proper environment, nutrients and care or they eventually die.

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2010, 09:16:23 AM »

Karen, I don't quite understand Knifegill's argument.  Is he trying to say that poor water quality is the only cause of stunting?
  If so, I beg to differ.  A fish confined like that and unable to move about naturally would not develop normally in my opinion.  For physical as well as psychological reasons.

I believe something about food was mentioned. However, Knifegill's analogy is so flawed, but seems to always pop up somewhere because on the 'surface' it seems plausible and almost logical. Dang has a correct assumption. There is a big difference between a fish having to 'learn' something and having acquired it's behavioral characteristics through evolution adaptation. I've been there, done that and have had too many T-shirts with a picture of a stressed out Discus on the front.

* BCA 02.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 478 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's