Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 17, 2019, 05:25:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Agressive Male Molly  (Read 1786 times)
kgalego

« on: September 25, 2010, 02:05:43 PM »

Hello,

20 gallon marine land biowheel tank
4 mollies (2 females, 1 male, and 1 3 day old fry in a breeder net)
4 Coryadoras
5 prestilla tetras

Problem:

The male molly is being overly aggressive with the non-pregnant female.  Chasing her to the point of exhaustion.  She has even injured herself (addressed in another thread) in an attempt to avoid him.  So her is the question.  I have a fully cycled 10 gallon tank that I was planning on moving a Betta male into and having the cories join him as they are of the smaller variety and he is in love with the albino.  I am trying to determine if I need to add additional females to the tank with the male or find him a new home. 

I have considered relocating him to the 10 with the Betta; however, I feel that he may be too aggressive for the Betta and the tank will be too small for all of them.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  He is really healthy and seems to be happy, just too much of a bully for the girls right now.  I also believe that the pregnant female is holding the rest of her fry because of him.

Thank you
Kendahl
Lilybean
Yemeyana

Tanks: 3g empty, 20g (gouramis and shark temp tanks), 55g soon!

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 07:58:35 AM »

What type of molly?

As far as I knew, mollies are too big for a 20 gallon. Even if I'm wrong and your stocking is ok, I wouldn't imagine you'd be able to add more mollies - I don't think any kind of molly is small enough to have 6+ in a 20g.

A 10 gallon with a betta and a molly? I can't imagine that ending well. I believe male bettas are aggressive, so if your betta is male they would probably clash. If your betta is female then she might get bullied.

Just my take on it - there are older and wiser people than I on this forum Wink

Tonight the waves march
In long ranks
Cutting the darkness
With their silver shanks,
Cutting the darkness
And kissing the moon
And beating the land\'s
Edge into a swoon
Spuds
Solanum tuberosum

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 10gal- Shrimp, betta, otto

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 12:53:04 PM »

Yeah... mollies dont ge along with bettas, They tend to nip the bettas fins...! You could separate the tank using a divider... Iv never done it myself and im not sure what you use but it is possible Smiley!!

Oldman

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 09:31:39 PM »

A molly is often a very active fish, which some bettas will have problems dealing with. That means that mixing a Betta splendens with a molly is something to be monitored closely. A lot depends on both the molly and the betta personalities. If they get along, things will be fine but they may not get along so well. As far as betta aggression ids concerned, I must disagree with Lilybean. A betta is seldom an aggressor in a mix of species. Instead he is a slow moving lumbering male with long fins who cannot easily keep up with fast moving fish. He often becomes a victim in that situation.

I try to keep my mollies in a 55 but that is more a question of preference than necessity. I find that by using a large tank I have very few problems with aggression while smaller tanks often seem to have aggression problems. I have kept single female mollies in a 10 gallon as a drop tank and had them thrive with their fry as shown in this picture.

Mom with 35 day old fry

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's