Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

April 20, 2019, 10:02:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 75 G low tech  (Read 3936 times)
Pieter
Bedroom is Fishroom

Tanks: 5' soon to be jewel cichlid breeding, 4' soon to be planted community, 10 G betta, 10 G convict fry, 20 G convict breeder

« on: November 03, 2010, 06:30:10 PM »

I am converting my 75 G tank into a low tech planted tank and I need some help. I am terrible with plants, except algae which loves me. I was thinking of spiral vals and wisteria with java fern and moss. I do not want to add any ferts except for root tablets. the tank with have an angelfish, 4-6 cories, and a school of 8 +/- tetras. The lighting will be 1 WPG. Will this work? What improvements could I make?
Thanks.

10-4
Wheels on the Bus
Hamster- the other white meat.

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 06:35:33 PM »

With low light plants and previously seasoned substrate, you don't need root tabs or other fertilizers for low light tanks. Smiley

Pieter
Bedroom is Fishroom

Tanks: 5' soon to be jewel cichlid breeding, 4' soon to be planted community, 10 G betta, 10 G convict fry, 20 G convict breeder

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 07:37:47 PM »

Thanks ysteb. Would fert tablets help though? Does my plant selection sound like it might work?
Thanks again

10-4
Wheels on the Bus

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 07:49:14 PM »

The fertilizer tablets would be more than the plants could utilize, and then you would end up with algae. Smiley

Java fern, java moss, and vals are all good choices. I've never managed to make wisteria work, but it may just be me. Smiley See if you can't get ahold of some marimo balls - they are the ultimate in easy as far as plants go. Smiley Crypts are good choices, too - don't be alarmed if they whither when you first plant them - it happens, and then they come back.

Pieter
Bedroom is Fishroom

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 08:12:43 PM »

Ok, so I can plant vals, java fern+moss, marimo balls, and crypts in the tank with out additional ferts/co2 inj.? I have a crypt in a 10 G that I could transplant and my LFS sometimes carries moss balls.
Thanks.

10-4
Wheels on the Bus

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 08:24:32 PM »

Correct. Smiley Enjoy. Smiley

Pieter
Bedroom is Fishroom

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »

Thanks! I'll try.

10-4
Pieter
Bedroom is Fishroom

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 08:09:51 AM »

One more question.......
would a 60 G HOB filter work? Would the plants make up for the rest of the filtration? I am switching filters because my current one sounds like a waterfall, and my tanks are in my bedroom. My price range can get me a 60G filter, but I can attach an additional smaller 15G filter to make up for it.

10-4
lokii_37

Tanks: 100g Community Densely planted

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 08:11:31 AM »

i would be interested to see how the vals grow in 1WPG. they may do fine but when i put my corkscrews in 1WPG they did not do very well. but they may do great in your tank give it a try.

Happy Trails,
Nick
Wheels on the Bus

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 08:18:37 AM »

No, additional plants will not make up for a lack of filtration. In a low light tank, you will not see significant decrease in nitrate due to plant consumption of ammonia. They are slow growers and utilize resources slowly. Use both filters.

Vals did well in my low light tank, but I always put them on the side of the tank closest to external light sources, like windows. The same held true for the amazon sword - but it's not a plant I typically recommend because they take up a lot of room and occasionally require a root tab to keep holes from appearing in the leaves.

Pieter
Bedroom is Fishroom

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 07:13:40 PM »

I think the vals will do fine in my tank because our water has calcium in it. The pH is 8.2, should I change it for the plants, or are they hardy enough to survive? Our water runs through an "Iron Eater" system, and I'm not sure if it also removes calcium. I have a tank beside the 75 G that I will plant the vals close to for more light (and there is a window up high). My sand is also normal  playsand from the local sandpit. It shouldn't raise the pH because I tested it in RO water and it had no effect.

Thanks for the replies!

10-4
Wheels on the Bus

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 09:16:35 PM »

Don't mess with your pH. Just don't. Smiley

lokii_37

Tanks: 100g Community Densely planted

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 08:42:13 AM »

+1 to your ph is fine. mine runs about the same as yours 8.2-8.5 and my fish and plnats are doing fine.

Happy Trails,
Nick
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation