Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

October 21, 2014, 10:07:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

Discount Aquarium Supplies at ThatFishPlace.com
News: mchambersn won "The get to know the Corydoras" contest. Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brevis cichlid  (Read 1491 times)
Afri

Tanks: Currently fishless, but with lots of plans!

Hopelessly addicted

« on: November 14, 2010, 02:22:14 PM »

Does anybody see any problems with having one male with 1 or 2 female Brevis cichlids in a 10 gal, sandy substrate tank, with plenty of shells.  They only get to be about 2.25 inches, and I have seen them listed as OK for a 10 gal tanks on commercial fish sites.  BTW, I am blessed with very hard water here in Schenectady, NY.  Thanks!!
P.S.  Is it hard to clean a sandy substrate tank?

something new, tiny dots, baby fish growing
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

Sharing water brings us closer

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 06:53:11 PM »

Brevis is a good choice for a 10g tank.Can you get brevis locally?The only store I know in schenectady is run by an old time tang cichlid breeder but he doesnt stock them much.
He usually has aragonite sand though.If you are doing a first tang cichlid tank,thats the way to start.

Waiting will fill
Afri

Hopelessly addicted

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 09:24:27 PM »

Brevis is a good choice for a 10g tank.Can you get brevis locally?The only store I know in schenectady is run by an old time tang cichlid breeder but he doesnt stock them much.
He usually has aragonite sand though.If you are doing a first tang cichlid tank,thats the way to start.
You actually know someone in Schenectady?  Most people can't even pronounce it Wink.  Can you give me the name of the guy or is that against the rules?

gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 11:14:06 PM »

I live in gilboa,about 50 miles southwest of schenectady.The shop Im talking about is Union Aquarium,great guy but not a great selection of tang cichlids.Usually just 1 or 2 tanks.
There is a place just south of albany that has a huge selection of tangs,its a hatchery though,not open to the public.He allows groups every once in a while,Im hoping the cichlid crowd I hang out with decides to visit soon.We go about once a year.

Waiting will fill
Afri

Hopelessly addicted

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 09:33:37 AM »

I live in gilboa,about 50 miles southwest of schenectady.The shop Im talking about is Union Aquarium,great guy but not a great selection of tang cichlids.Usually just 1 or 2 tanks.
There is a place just south of albany that has a huge selection of tangs,its a hatchery though,not open to the public.He allows groups every once in a while,Im hoping the cichlid crowd I hang out with decides to visit soon.We go about once a year.
I got to Union Aquarium, and I really like the guy there.   kewl Have you noticed the sad lack of an aquarium club in our area? Sad

gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 07:11:35 PM »

Yes its pretty lacking.There is a killiefish group that has actual meetings.Also a small betta group that does not.Ive tried a few times to get something off the ground but never manage to get more than 1 or 2 people interested.

Waiting will fill
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's