Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

October 30, 2014, 10:07:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

Discount Aquarium Supplies at ThatFishPlace.com
News: mchambersn won "The get to know the Corydoras" contest. Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is lifespan of mystery snail?  (Read 5781 times)
Urohawk

« on: November 20, 2010, 10:15:19 AM »

My mystery snail has gone to the great pond in the sky.  Had him about a year with a stable tank (no deaths, good numbers, regular water changes).  Should I be concerned?  Do they last long?
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

Sharing water brings us closer

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 11:15:29 AM »

Most 2-3 years some make it to 4 or so.
If you got it at an adult size it could have been over a year old.

Waiting will fill
Urohawk

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 01:26:07 PM »

Well, the jury is out.  My wife said he had been floating in the tank for about a week.  I hadn't been around due to work.  For lack of a better term he goes for rides for hours in the current while crawled up.  I thought he was doing the same but hadn't attached anywhere all day so I presumed he was dead.  Was kind of half in and out of his shell.  I went to pick him up and he curled up so not officially dead, but not behaving "normally".  He barely fits in his shell.  We will stick things out
Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 11:17:21 PM »

Snails often float around for awhile, half hanging out of shells. Give 'em the sniff test. You will KNOW if he is dead...and probably smell him for a week...

Shari has my fish. I just have dogs. Smiley
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 12:41:51 AM »

Keep a close eye on your snail. If it dies you need to remove it immediately or as Gopi stated you will smell it for a week.

I'm sorry your snail is having problems. Check your water parameters and if all is well, no fish have been picking at it, and it has had a varied diet then it is probably just old.

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Urohawk

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 11:40:38 AM »

Well, we didn't pass the sniff test.  He attached to the tank and ate a little, then floated for a long time, then attached again, sank to the bottom for 24 hours.  All in all, took a couple of days.  Pulled him out and he was funky.  I never thought I would watch a snail go through his death throes.  I also would have never guess I would notice a major change in "snail activity".  Guess I pay more attention to my tank than I thought.

Water parameters were fine pH 8, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 10.  All stable.  No matter what I do he pH is alkalotic but the fish seem to have adjusted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation