Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 20, 2014, 08:03:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

Discount Aquarium Supplies at ThatFishPlace.com
News: mchambersn won "The get to know the Corydoras" contest. Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is best for a 200 litre aquarium External or internal filter?  (Read 6992 times)
spiritofscouse

clownloach

« on: December 05, 2010, 10:48:50 AM »

What is best exteral or internal? And does one require more maintenance than the other?
philfreenode
Got a 350 Gal bedroom tank, still new though

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 04:31:57 AM »

welcome to badman's spiritofscouse. What sort of fish are you planning in this tank? I work it out to be about 50 gallon tank. What are the dimensions?

As long as you turn over the entire tank volume several times an hour minimum and have an appropriately established bacteria colony I think you can go with any type filter. I'm unfamiliar with external (cannister?) filters here. How about hang on back? Aquaclear 110 is nice.
Ruthy
Future fish vet

Tanks: 2 and a pond

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 05:43:59 AM »

Scouse? You from the North West of England by any chance?
It also depends on which room you're having the filter. If it's a bedroom or lounge then I'd go for internal rather than HOB (hang on back) to avoid the waterfall noise. If it's somewhere where you don't mind the noise, then you can go for either one
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 125 community, 450 pacu community, 180 community, 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 08:43:45 AM »

I have never been a fan of internal filters at all.

I would recommend a marineland Emperor 400.

This filter is legendary in it reliability, has separate bio wheels, mechanical filtration and a separate container (x2) to place alternative media in.  Nearly silent to run, easy to clean etc...

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
dougrhon

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 09:16:28 AM »

I certainly second the HOB and the Emperor in particular. I have two running on my 80 gallon and just bought two more for use on my planned 75 gallon.
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 125 community, 450 pacu community, 180 community, 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 10:11:30 AM »

To emphasize how easy they are to maintain......
I have a 450 gallon tank.  Its HUGE.  I set it up this fall and have not been too happy with water clarity despite having HUGE filters for it.

On a whim I pulled an emperor 400 out, put a really fine mesh floss over the cartridges and fired it up.  *Poof* clear water.  I will need to maintain the cartridges at least 2x a week, but I am using them exclusively for a water polisher, so that is expected.  When compared to the cost and effort of maintaining a proper water polisher on the tank (Which I own, but don't use), this is way better.

Seriously, an HOB on a 450 gallon tank. 

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
spiritofscouse

clownloach

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 12:46:03 PM »

thanks for all y our replies. I am still planning my tank which will be 100cm x 50cm x 40cm. So it seems neither is more than efficient than the other when it comes to internal or external.
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 01:50:06 PM »

So it seems neither is more than efficient than the other when it comes to internal or external.
  No one said that?!  We recommended an HOB filter for you.

Define "efficient".

You need a filter that can turn your tank over 5-8 times an hour, it should have separate places for biological and mechanical filtration and should have the ability to hold chemical filtration in the event you need it. 

The design of the Emperor 400 does all of that and makes maintenance super easy.  Internal filters are challenging at best to maintain.

superpap56

capt.video space helmet on oh Captain Video!

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 11:11:11 PM »

karen --i agree --the emporer is an excellant choice---i have several.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 11:16:16 PM by superpap56 » Logged

One ,knowing I'm one ..hearing of two...like a child believing dreams-always a dream to take you home--day after day -there comes a night , there comes a knowing when you laugh.
spiritofscouse

clownloach

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 01:49:39 AM »

thanks for the clarification.An external filter it will be. I will put in one for which I am sure I will find spare parts locally.BTW I am in Malta (Europe) .
dougrhon

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 03:21:48 PM »

I always use two.
April ♥ Lynn
Absolutely Flabergasted
Senior Staff

Tanks: Dream big, celebrate life, and never stop learning.

Find that quiet place in your heart, and listen.

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 03:30:23 PM »

I am going to disagree.
Muahahahahaha

I bought 2 whisper internal HOB's for the 25g just for the sake of silence.

I am just as happy with them as I am with other HOB's. same filter media. totally silent. no priming. easy cleaning. totally would recommend them for smaller tanks. plus since there are 2 of them, when I take the tank down (I only use it for QT) I can put one of them on my 75g to keep it seeded Smiley

You\'re never to old for a happy childhood\"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's