Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

February 23, 2019, 05:19:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: lace plants  (Read 2676 times)
garyfla

« on: January 11, 2011, 04:48:27 AM »

Hi
   Anybody growing these ??. care to trade some experiences??
                gary
lokii_37

Tanks: 100g Community Densely planted

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 09:14:26 AM »

i have one. i put it in my 100 with sand substrate. it started off well sending out new leaves right away. then it stared to grow very slowly. i moved it over to the 30 with less current. there is also dirt from the garden covered with a layed of sand as substrate. it is doing great in there. huge leaves that go all the way to the top of the tank. i do not know if it is the good substrate or if it is because it is closer to the light.

Happy Trails,
Nick
Belinda

Tanks: 90 gallon,2x75 gallon,55 gallon, 2x50 gallon; and shall we say a few more.. always growing always changing.

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 08:22:43 PM »

I had one before ..unfortunately it only lasted one year for me . My tank was a little to warm for it.
 it supposedly likes cooler water and to be near the outflow of a filter..
 It is a lovely plant and not too easy to get.

It took 7 days for God to create this world...
So how long will it take for me to create the perfect tank???
essabee
Hammer & Spade

Tanks: 1x20g, 3x30g, 2x60g, 1x145g, 1x270g; all planted

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 09:25:05 PM »

Strong light, rich substrate needed (all my tanks are CO2 enriched, so cannot say how they do without it). Remove old leaves when they start discolouring. Temperature not an issue. I have not been able to multiply them as yet. Prone to annual dormancy but comes back, though I do hedge by giving root tablets.

If you are mad; remember I am madder.
garyfla

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 06:00:05 AM »

Hi
   I grew them in a 150  located in the Gh using only natural light. Had  4 inches of substrate a mix of top soil
black kow , mix of silica sand and crushed lava on top . Grew to the top and actually flowered ,seeds were viable  but
died before producing bulbs also very crowded by crypts .
     The original plant went through dormancy twice ,lasting about 2 months.  Didn't find drying necessary nor temp changes.
  Have no idea which species I had  or if it was a hybrid  but came from India lol.
   Unfortunately the tank developed an unfixable leak so plants were transferred to a marsh garden where they croaked lol.
   I had tried to grow them in regular gravel in regular aquariums  with no luck at all.
   Interesting on the net that every site gives a different method particularly about  pH and the importance of dormancy.length temps
lol  I  think this one worked due to a large tank strong light and very rich substrate.  Also had a large healthy bulb to start with
   Anyway ,I did decide these were plants for dedicated growers Lil but it can be done !!!         gary

lokii_37

Tanks: 100g Community Densely planted

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 09:14:41 AM »

i also have the say than mine is in a tank with a broken heater that stays about 66 F. maybe that helped

Happy Trails,
Nick
garyfla

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 05:53:11 PM »

Hi

Anyone hear an explanation of the holes???  There are a few plants with holes in the leaves but not to that extreme.
   i thought the holes served to resist strong currents  but from what I can find of the range  just the opposite is true.
   Whatever this adaptation is for ,note none of the other members of the family use it.
    On the Kew Gardens herbrarium list  they list it as a "Bog  plant." endemic to the easten drainage of Madagascar.
   But what I could find of the natural habitat they are constantly submersed   with some very extreme temp changes
due to high altitude rainfall not air temps. These rivers run through limestone escarpments  yet no strong shifts in pH.
   the season changes are very minor even though Madagascar is not in the Tropics due to the Indian Ocean.
    Maybe they adapted  to an envronment that no longer exists.??   The flowers are interesting as they occur on an enlongated stem
and flower in sequense above the water surface. I was so surprised that the seed was viable .Didn't catch what the pollinator
was or if one was even necessary. Obviously did not cross polinate  as I had only one flowering plant..
.   Anyway a very remarable plant !!!  gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's