Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 15, 2019, 04:41:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: guppy breeding help  (Read 8303 times)
jakethebroom

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 11:10:47 AM »

just so i can have the experience of breeding fish thats all
popsbjd
Pops

Tanks: 37 g community, 8 g Betta, 10 g qt, 28g planted bowfront with blue rams and diamond tetras

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2011, 11:25:07 AM »

Not to sound like a jerk but being guppies won't really give you experience breeding fish.  All of the live bearers will breed pretty much anywhere and anytime.  There are no specific water conditions required, nothing too really take into account (except mollies are brackish).  You don't even need good water parameters for them to breed.  If you don't have a plan for your fry you will be overrun with fish very soon.

I've never been a big livebearer fan myself.  I just don't see the attraction.  If you want to keep the guppies you will need a very large tank to keep the hundreds of fish you will soon have.  Most stores don't really want to buy guppies as they can breed their own.

Just my  11574

Pops

"Black holes are what happens when God tries to divide the universe by zero."
jakethebroom

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2011, 12:04:39 PM »

i have room for them
jakethebroom

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2011, 12:06:30 PM »

and i think guppies would be a good way to start breeding cause it would be stupid starting by breeding the hardest type dont you think
jakethebroom

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2011, 02:38:17 PM »

but if you think guppies are too easy what fish do you suggest starting with
Wheels on the Bus
Hamster- the other white meat.

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2011, 02:42:33 PM »

I think people are mostly concerned that you will end up with a large amount of fish to care for, when you seem a little hazy on how to care for the fish to begin with. Smiley Pardon me for saying this, but I am operating under the assumption that you are 13 or 14 and that these are your first fish. There's nothing wrong with that. However, breeding with guppies can get very out of control very quickly - hence people's concerns. You end up with six million fish (yes, I'm exaggerating) in a very short amount of time. Why don't you tell us all about your current setup, and we'll make sure it's appropriate for the fish you have so they don't get sick first, and then worry about breeding? Smiley

jakethebroom

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2011, 04:21:14 PM »

right i have 2 tanks at the moment i have room for more but one is 20 gallons thats were the females and male are and i have the second tank which is 10 gallons and empty right now im waiting for fry to go in that one and i was also thinking of setting up  a guppy pond for more
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2011, 05:37:44 PM »

Jake, you seem deadset on doing this so we want you to do it in the correct way so that no fish are harmed or stunted.  I am going to ask you some questions so that we will know if you are in over your head or not.

What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
How often do you change water and how much do you change each time?  Do you vacuum the substrate? 
What kind of filter do you have on your tank and what is your maintenance schedule for it?
Is your 10 gallon tank in process of cycling now so that it will be ready for the fry?
Have you started building your pond yet?  What filter will it use and how large will it be?

You may think we are being picky but we're not.  These are the basics for having healthy fish.  Please answer all of these questions and we will go from there. 

When in doubt, do a water change.
Fin

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2011, 11:31:06 AM »

As a guppy breeder myself I have encountered quite a few problems, like with those silly breeding nets, they are a very big waste of time and money for breeding guppies, I usually have four tanks set up, 1 5 gallon where the pregnant female can give birth in a quiet safe place(no guppies should be in the 5 gal longer than needed), and three tens, 1 for the young female fry which you should distinguish asap, one for the young males and the other for breeding them in, I breed mine mainly for show, so not many of them sick around with, I also sell the to fairs, this is a good strategy for breeding fancy guppies of show quality, if this was any help I can reply with more info. This is also a good technique if you are just breeding for fun.
jakethebroom

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2011, 01:19:56 PM »

great help thanks
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »

Have you tested your water yet, Jake?  Let us know.  Smiley

When in doubt, do a water change.
jakethebroom

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2011, 01:22:21 PM »

im still trying to convince dad to get me a water testing kit
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up