Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 15, 2019, 05:24:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Assassin snail questions  (Read 7382 times)
Clare

Tanks: 130g community, 30g dwarf puffer, 30g betta, 5g shrimp

« on: January 18, 2011, 08:39:23 AM »

Hi all,
I have a few questions about our recently acquired assassin snails.

1) We have four in total, three from one LFS, one from another.  There are differences in markings between the three and the one - the one has a lot more black than other three.  The three that were bought together though have a lot of white markings on their shells - look a bit like scrapes in places - and their shells aren't as pointy - rather they are blunted at the ends with more of the white markings.  What are these white markings?  Are they some sign of disease, or poor shell growth due to bad diet/poor water conditions, etc?  Should I be doing anything about them?

2) Last night we were treated to a viewing of one of them making a snack of one of the pest snails in the tank.  I was under the impression that they ate the fleshy parts of the snails and left the shells behind, but when this guy had finished there was nothing left at all.  And the lunch-snail in question was one of the larger specimens in the tank.  So, do they consume the shells as well?

3) Am I cracking up, or do these things grow fast?  The single one was bought as one of a pair, but we lost the other one in the quarantine tank, as in it completely disappeared.  When I was cleaning out the quarantine tank last night I found it in an ornament we keep in there, dead.  I know these guys were the same size when we bought them home but comparing the shell of the dead one with the live one thats currently cruising our main tank there's quite a noticeable size difference.

4) I've read that these guys feed on general tank detritus as well as other snails, but should I be adding anything else to the tank for them to eat?  Also, I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the reading I've done but I know that some people add calcium to their water for snails.  Does anyone do this?

Sorry about the tonne of questions.  I'm hoping you guys will be able to answer some of them for me.

Clare
lokii_37

Tanks: 100g Community Densely planted

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 09:16:31 AM »

lets see if i can help you out with some answers.

1)the white markings i think are scrapes and bumps. some times the pointed tip breaks off and you are left with a more blunt tip. the differant markings are probably just due to genetic variation.
2)the assassins only eat the meaty part. the old shell probably just got carried away in the gurrent.
3) i dont know. did i miss it or did ou say how long you have had them ?
4)i will ad snails from my other tank so they have something to eat, i have only assassins in my big tank, they seem to love eds shrimp pellets. when i put some of those in the tank they start coming out from where ever they are.

Happy Trails,
Nick
Clare

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 09:35:56 AM »

Hi Lokii, thanks for the quick response.
In answer to your question, we've only had them a couple of weeks.  I was stood last night with a dead shell in one hand watching the second snail cruise up the side of the tank and there was an obvious size difference.  Maybe they were different sizes when I bought them home, because I find it difficult to belive that a snail can grow its shell that fast!
mduros

Tanks: 1 55 gallon freshwater tank, down to 2 opalines, 2 bn plecos, 1 betta, 1 bolivian ram, 3 sidthmunkis, 6 adolfoi cories; 1 20 gallon long amphibian tank (taricha granulosa)

So close no matter how far

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 11:14:09 AM »

Clare,
They do seem to grow fast. And the more they eat the faster they will grow.

As for the shells, Lokii is correct. Their shells seem to get damaged pretty easily. And the older these snails get the worse their shells get. I don't know if calcium supplementing would help or not. The older ones at the LFS even have horrible looking shells. One of mine looks like he has a break and a hole going completely through his shell, but he keeps on eating and strutting his snail stuff around.

Since they are still relatively new to "the hobby" we are still learning about them in our tanks. There's not a whole lot of information out there yet. But more than a couple of years ago when I got my first few.
Take care,
Mary.
Clare

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 01:03:03 PM »

OK, that's interesting.  The three snails from one LFS show a lot more markings and damage to their shells than the one from the other LFS.  Do they repair the damage to their shells, or shed that layer of shell or anything?  Or will they always have these markings?  I will confess to not knowing a lot how they generate and grow their shells.  If you know of a good link with that kind of information I would apprecitate it.
mduros

Tanks: 1 55 gallon freshwater tank, down to 2 opalines, 2 bn plecos, 1 betta, 1 bolivian ram, 3 sidthmunkis, 6 adolfoi cories; 1 20 gallon long amphibian tank (taricha granulosa)

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 01:45:28 PM »

Don't know, but I'll keep an eye open for a good source of information on them.

I also have a couple that their shells are so scratched up that the dark stripes aren't really visible anymore. I can identify them from the proboscis only.
Take care,
Mary.
lokii_37

Tanks: 100g Community Densely planted

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 09:07:27 AM »

i dont think they repair their shells. one of my original ones is about 2 years and his shell still looks as bad as ever. one of my other originals has had BBA growing on his shell for 6 months plus.

i just founf this the other day.
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192938

Happy Trails,
Nick
mduros

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 01:17:36 PM »

For a long time I didn't think mine were reproducing because I never saw eggs, but then I realized that any with the undamaged beautifully striped shells were young, therefore hatched in my tank. They really are interesting creatures.

Looki, I have one or two with algae on them as well. Smiley
Take care,
Mary.
Clare

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 03:28:55 AM »

Thanks for the link - it was interesting reading.  It's a shame that their shells remain damaged - they're so beautiful.

one of my other originals has had BBA growing on his shell for 6 months plus.

Do you never feel the urge to fish it out the tank and give it a quick scrub??!!   Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation