Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 13, 2019, 04:59:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amanos going into Sump  (Read 1876 times)
yogesh

Tanks: 45 gallons, 48 * 15 * 18 inches (L*W*D) planted with discus and neons

« on: February 09, 2011, 08:34:26 AM »

My Amanos are smart enough to get over the glass partition of my tank into the sump. I just put in 4 Amanos in the tank yesterday and 3 of them went inthe sump. Luckily none of them got killed by the powerhead. I have a plastic partition with slits on the dividing glass for the water to fall into the sump. I am thinking of replacing this with a Aluminium mesh, but the shrimps look smart enough (from yesterdays experience) to climb over this mesh and go into the sump.... i had not factored their intelligence on this front when I got them yesterday.

I had a harrowing time to get them out as the sump is 18 inch deep and 4* 10 inch wide with 3 partitions one on top of other, so difficult to put and operate the fish net. And I don't want a repeat occurence.

Has anyone faced this problem, how have you solved this?

Yogesh

Regards,
Yogesh
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

Sharing water brings us closer

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 06:37:26 PM »

I used "gutter guard" over the overflow on my 125g tanks to keep fish out of the overflow area.Its a plastic mesh they use to keep leaves out of rain gutters.Might be to big for your purposes though.You could probably fabricate something out of plastic canvas from the craft store.

Waiting will fill
Wheels on the Bus
Hamster- the other white meat.

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 06:39:22 PM »

How about a fish net? You could use a silicone baking rubber band to hold the netting in place, if you cut it off the frame.

yogesh

Tanks: 45 gallons, 48 * 15 * 18 inches (L*W*D) planted with discus and neons

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 01:50:08 PM »

Thanks for your inputs. The Amanos were walking right out of the fish net when I transferred them into the tank. I got a fine stainless steel mesh yesterday and have put that over the partition with a plastic clothes line clip. It rises around 2 inches above the water surface, so hoping that Amanos don't like to get out of the water. Luckily, I don't see any Amanos in the sump now. A few are swimming in the tank, but its difficult to see all 4 of them in the plantation. They hide very easily.

I added 4 half inch RCS in the tank, 2 males and 2 females. Hoping that the RCS will breed and the numbers will grow to form my cleaning team.

Yogesh

Regards,
Yogesh
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM