Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 19, 2019, 09:11:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: fast growing/unhealthy plants??  (Read 4992 times)
RAHT

Tanks: 46 gallon: 1 angel fish, 10 harlequin rasporas, 4 bronze corydora, 6 lemon tetras, 8 gold barbs, 1 bristlenose pleco, cherry red shrimp and algae earing shrimp, 2 mystery snails. 180 gallon stock tank: 9 comet/common goldfish

« on: March 09, 2011, 12:22:50 PM »

Hello,
I have a 46 gallon planted tank.  I'm having a lot of trouble with my live plants.  It's quite funny because in the past I've never had trouble with my plants, they grew like crazy, but it seems like the harder I try, the worse things are!

My anubias have tufts of green algae on them as well as tiny dark spots all over the leaves.
My amazon swords have the same tufts of algae as well as sections of "see through" leaves.  ( I do have a young bristlenose pleco that might be causing this)
My vals are turning "see though" at the tops
My "grass" (not sure of the name) has brown algae on them.
My crypts are great as well as another small leafed stem plant (unsure of name).
The weird thing is that all the plants are growing and spreading very quickly in spite of all this.

I'm using a Power glo light (I was going to buy the flora glo but the pet store guy recommended this one), and I have it on for 13 hours/day
I fertilize twice a week with "Flourish"
I use a Red Sea CO2 diffuser (yeast and sugar) during the day and an air stone at night

Is there something obvious that I'm doing wrong?  Too much light?  Too much fertilizer?

Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks,
RAHT

46 gallon bowfront
10 harlequin rasporas
7 gold barbs
5 bronze corydoras
1 bristlenose pleco
Spuds
Solanum tuberosum

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 10gal- Shrimp, betta, otto

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 12:41:27 PM »

Id cut back a little on the light and Ferts....

sherriB

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 12:47:46 PM »

Like Spuds says 13 hours is alot of light - most of us stick to 8-10 hours (I stay at 9).  Also with DIY C02 (sugar and yeast) you are going to get algae from fluctuating C02 levels (I have been there and done that). I completely stopped using any ferts or c02 (DIY and Excel) in my planted tanks and they do really well, the plants get what they need from 50% weekly water changes, fish food and fish respiration and pottying.

Try a shorter light duration and just go with your weekly water changes for awhile (no airstone at night is needed if you stop the C02) and see if things perk up.

40 Gallon Breeder: 10 Tiger Barb; 9 Oto; 6 Dwarf loaches
20 Gallon Long: 6 Panda Cory; 6 Albino Cory; 1 Male Betta
30 Gallon Breeder: 30 Neon Tetras
Wheels on the Bus
Hamster- the other white meat.

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 01:08:06 PM »

Swords are root feeders, not leaf feeders. They don't really absorb nutrients from the water column in a significant amount. Try a fertilizer tablet under those instead.

RAHT

Tanks: 46 gallon: 1 angel fish, 10 harlequin rasporas, 4 bronze corydora, 6 lemon tetras, 8 gold barbs, 1 bristlenose pleco, cherry red shrimp and algae earing shrimp, 2 mystery snails. 180 gallon stock tank: 9 comet/common goldfish

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 04:05:34 PM »

Thanks for the quick replies!!

So if I cut down to 9 hours of light a day, say from 1pm to 10 pm (I like to watch the fish in the evenings) it will still be enough light for the plants to do well?  I'm not there during the day to enjoy the fish anyway and the fish are fed their first feeding by my daughter after school at 3pm, so that will work for me. 

Is 50% water changes weekly what I should be doing?  I've read so many different things.  I've been doing about 20 to 25% weekly and I test the water once or twice a week and it's always good.  I will change more water weekly if that is what's recommended. 

Thanks again!
sherriB

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 04:43:24 PM »

50% weekly is what most of us practice. Freshwater fish do love freshwater proud

40 Gallon Breeder: 10 Tiger Barb; 9 Oto; 6 Dwarf loaches
20 Gallon Long: 6 Panda Cory; 6 Albino Cory; 1 Male Betta
30 Gallon Breeder: 30 Neon Tetras
lokii_37

Tanks: 100g Community Densely planted

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 09:56:49 AM »

how many watts is your light? also the leaves that are turning see through may be the old leave s that nee dto be trimmed off just because they are old. also 46g is pretty big to run a DIY co2 set up. like sherriB said you will get a lot of fluctuation in your co2 levels which can lead to algea if the ferts and light levels are not in proper alignment.

Happy Trails,
Nick
RAHT

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 01:09:08 PM »

I tried to see how many watts it is but I can't find it anywhere on the light or the box that it came in.  I see LUX, Lumen and h but I don't know what those mean.  Can someone recommend a certain light that I should use for my 46 gallon?  I have a lot to learn about this!  Funny how when I was younger and completely ignorant about growing plants, they did fine and now that I'm trying to learn and provide everything for my plants, they are struggling!

I bought the CO2 because I didn't have a lot of fish  and I thought maybe the plants were lacking CO2.  It said it was for 40 gallons.  I've shut it off now on the advise of the helpful people that posted here!

Is trimming the plants weekly good practice? 

Thank you all so much!!  I'm looking forward to having a balanced environment for my fish AND plants!

RAHT
Spuds
Solanum tuberosum

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 10gal- Shrimp, betta, otto

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 01:16:57 PM »

Trimming any damaged/ discoloured leaves helps a lot Wink

RAHT

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 01:44:02 PM »

Here is the info on the light I am using:
Power-Glo by Hagen, LUX 105, 1330 Lumen, 7500 h and 18000K.  It also says 30W.  Could that be the watts?  That doesn't seem right....
redfan

Tanks: Fluval Roma 65G, Roma 30G, Unspecified 7G, Standard 15G

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 02:44:54 PM »

Hi RAHT

In my limited experience (I have a pretty heavy planted 63G tank) I normally only have the lights on about 9-10 hours and my g/f trims the dead bits regularly but in my opinion some plants seem to go horrible naturally anyway from fish damage.

Cheers

Fish ... Fish .. and more FISH
GB

Tanks: 25G Community Tank, 10G Crayfish tank, 3G Betta tank, 34G Saltwater

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 07:29:53 PM »

RAHT,

30W would be the watts. That's low for a 46G tank and could explain why your plants aren't doing well. That would also explain the algae -- the plants aren't using nutrients, so your algae do....

You might want to add another 30W light or maybe a bit more. 60+W over 46G will help your low-light plants (Anubias, Crypts, Amazon Swords, Vals) grow. I had the same issue on my 25G, as I had only 15W over it. I added a 28W coralife for a total of 43W and now my plants are healthier. Thinking of upgrading the 15W to another 28W or so....

Also, add Seachem Flourish fertilizer -- it works for me (with the extra light)

Good luck!

GB
redfan

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 07:34:13 PM »

GB Out of interest adding the Seachem Flourish fertilizer is that safe with a tank full of fish? cheers

RAHT

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 08:38:23 PM »

.....So I checked out the watts of all the lights at the pet store and they were all about 30 Watts.  I might have to do some searching for something with more.   Sorry for all the questions, but how do you add a second light?  A different sort of canopy or hood for the aquarium?

Thanks again!
RAHT 
redfan

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 02:40:28 AM »

RAHT, If your hood only supports one light then, yup your only option of adding a second is a new hood I guess, sure those with more experience will advise better but my 63G has a Power Glo and Aqua Glo 40W T8 set up.  Power Glo is at the rear where most of the plants are.

lokii_37

Tanks: 100g Community Densely planted

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 09:51:07 AM »

yes seachem flourish is safe for the fish in the tank. it is made for aquariums.
In terms of the light if you want more you will probably need to get another small fixture and use both or get an upgrade. How do you feel about DIY stuff? AHsupply.com has some good prices on some DIY lighting. you could get a 55W kit for not to much and that should be enough light to grow the plants you have.

Happy Trails,
Nick
GB

Tanks: 25G Community Tank, 10G Crayfish tank, 3G Betta tank, 34G Saltwater

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 12:12:32 AM »

RAHT,

I added a second hood next to my original one -- both are fairly narrow, so it seems to work...

Redfan,

I've been using Seachem Flourish in a tank full of fish -- seems harmless.

GB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's