Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 17, 2017, 06:08:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All livebearers like salt?  (Read 6283 times)
Wheels on the Bus
Hamster- the other white meat.

Sanctimonious Chicken

« on: March 07, 2011, 12:49:15 PM »

Recently I have seen folks recommending that "all" livebearers should be kept in brackish conditions or with various amounts of salt added to the water. The only livebearer that I know of that should be kept brackish would be the molly, as this fish is brackish in the wild. Some people argue that mollies in fish stores - commercially bred mollies- are bred and raised in freshwater, and do not need brackish water. However, I'm more interested in all the other lovely varieties of livebearer like endlers, platy fish, swords, guppies, etc. I have always been under the impression that just because a fish is a livebearer does not mean it needs salt - I kept platy fish and an endler colony without adding salt. I currently have some rehomed male guppies in my community tank, and I don't add any salt to that, either. Smiley I believe "all livebearers need salt" belongs in the myth category, probably originating from brackish molly tanks and breeders/fish stores perpetuating the salt myth in fish keeping in general. Thoughts? Opinions?

Tom.E

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 05:00:42 PM »

I think some of the confusion come from misunderstanding salinity with water hardness. Most livebearers come from waters of moderate hardness or better. Nacl doesn't affect water hardness. Calcium and magnesium salts would be better to raise the GH.

People with very soft water ( like me ) can have trouble with some livebearers. Others with hard water shouldn't have any problems at all.

Just my opinion...

Tom
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 10:49:10 PM »

Tom E.

Essentially, that is correct. And it is gH that determines hard or soft water, not kH or pH. Most fish are very comfortable at gH levels of 200 with livebearers actually liking it a bit higher.

* BCA02.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 990 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 03:58:10 PM »

I guess I should have added that sodium and potassium link together to form the electrolytes that the fishes need.

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
goldenboydude46

Tanks: 55 Gal main tank and 5 gallon baby tank

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 09:47:10 PM »

I've kept and bred dozens of platies, swordtails and mollies over the years... I've never added a pinch of salt to my water. Although I've never been as successful with the mollies as either the platies or swordtails
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation