Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 20, 2019, 05:09:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feeding African Dwarf Frogs  (Read 4524 times)
redfan

Tanks: Fluval Roma 65G, Roma 30G, Unspecified 7G, Standard 15G

« on: March 12, 2011, 06:39:07 PM »

Hi,  I got 2 African dwarf frogs last Saturday, I can only find 1 now hiding in his cave am assuming the other one either escaped or is hiding elsewhere / dead somewhere in the tank Sad

Problem is, the one I have seen is very thin.  I know they like bloodworm, but how can I feed him without the fish just stealing it all?  Have seen a video on YouTube where somebody hand feeds his frog bloodworm with long tweezers.  Only his frog is full sized and mine is tiny and just sims back to base when I tried to give him some using a pipette Sad

Any ideas how to do this, or should I just return him to the lfs?  Sorry to be blunt about it, but don't want the little guy to starve to death Sad

Many thanks guys

Fish ... Fish .. and more FISH
Clare

Tanks: 130g community, 30g dwarf puffer, 30g betta, 5g shrimp

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 06:55:20 PM »

Hey,
We have squidgy plastic pipettes that we use to feed ours.  We squirt some bloodworm out near their noses and they get the hint and jump at it.  It took them a while to get used to it, but nowadays they jump up at the pipette as soon as they see it.  Stick with it and they'll get used to it and hopefully stop hiding.
We also tap on the glass a few times before we start feeding.  It took a while but they know it means feeding time now and usually emerge from wherever they're hiding.  It usually helps to give the other fish in the tank something to eat before you get started to keep them distracted.

I would suggest leaving him some bloodworm as close as you can get to him until he gets used to the pipette.
redfan

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 07:20:28 PM »

Thanks for that clare I will persevere for now and try again tomorrow.  He does come out and up to the side of the tank which I'm guessing is because he's hungry.  Which is why I tried to do this tonight.  Cannot try again tonight as the fish already been fed and ended up having a qtr of the bloodworm cube lol.

Clare

Tanks: 130g community, 30g dwarf puffer, 30g betta, 5g shrimp

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 03:31:40 AM »

Good luck.  We only make the effort to spot-feed ours twice a week and if we can't find one of them then he's on with regards to eating!
We used to have a small angelfish with a massive appetite in with the frogs.  He knew what the pipette meant and practically inhales food out of it given the chance.  We used to have to give a load of bloodworm up at the other end of the tank to keep him out of the way whilst we attempted to feed the frogs.  If your guys are anything like ours then once the figure out what the pipette means they'll stop running away in terror!
redfan

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 02:38:15 PM »

Clare , Just wanted to update (have posted elsewhere about my ADF) he is now taking food from a pair of tweezers.  Have observed him chewing his food etc.  He is pretty much used to it now and comes to the front of the tank when he wants some food.  The fish I guess do not mind, as they get a bit of bloodworm that is leftover lol.

Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 03:53:00 AM »

If it moves they will eat it.

Take care when feeding ADFs with tweezers and such. They will jump at their food and can harm themselves.

Good Luck

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation