Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 21, 2018, 10:31:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dwarf Gourami trauma and pimple.  (Read 8983 times)
alchea

Tanks: 2

« on: March 19, 2011, 11:36:50 PM »

This poor Dwarf Gourami I got (from a reputable, independent LFS who I have purchased from before but who mainly focuses on marine) has really been through the ringer.   I bought the fish before I knew the full extent of Dwarf problems.

First day home, he got chewed up into the filter.  (replaced it).   It stunned him, and left him with a big beige fleshy wound on the top of his head and a little piece of skin hanging off.   Right away put him into a QT and didn't expect him to live through the night.

He did.  Sat pretty still and a little crooked for 2+ days , then began swimming.  Then began picking at food.  I changed 25% water every day, and on the 2nd or 3rd day began adding a pinch of dissolved aq. salt, a drop of melafix (very conservative), and Maroxy.  He got even better and the wound started to close up, and the little skin flap fell off.  Swam more, no more crookedness, began eating hungrily.  Then, I began administering Maracyn Plus.  He got even better and seems like a normal fish somehow.   

And just near the end of the Maracyn Plus cycle..... he gets a big white pimple on his chin near the corner of his mouth.  Doesn't affect behavior or eating, but looks gross.  Meanwhile, his head wound is almost gone, just a little dark mark left there.  Now, the white pimple has turned red but hasn't opened up.  It looks just like a human pimple, and seems to have a bit of translucent, loose skin (like chapped skin) hanging from it.

I waited a day, continued with a water change, and started the Maracyn Plus again.  Pinch of dissolved salt here and there.  Some garlic juice into the water.  Pimple hasn't changed except for the change from white to reddish.

What to do?  The fish is sick of being in there but I don't want to move him if he's infected and while my black skirt tetras are acting like jerks in the community tank.

The lady at the LFS said to give him amoxicillin.  She says she has it in her shop.  The shop is an hour away and I'm a little wary of filtering out the Maracyn Plus and then starting a new antibiotic... but maybe that's a good idea?

Ugh.

Thanks for any thoughts/advice.
fishbro22

Portrait and banner by RummyNose

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 05:52:48 PM »

Well, only time can tell at this point. Great job though on what you've already done. I think at this point, if it is still necessary, you should probably get that new antibiotic Smiley. Happy fishkeeping, and welcome to Badman's!

Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 07:12:09 AM »

Its NOT a pimple.  Pimples are an infection of a the oil glands that are associated with hair follicles.  Fish have neither oil glands nor hair follicles.

Fish also don't develop pus as a way of dealing with infection, that is a mammalian thing.  So the white is NOT pus.

Can you get us a picture?  White on fish can be a few things... it can be part of a parasite, it can be a piece of dead skin, scar tissue etc...

A picture would help a lot. 

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
alchea

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 10:29:24 AM »

Thanks for the great info.

I'm at work right now, but for what it's worth, it looks JUST like this -

http://www.gtaaquaria.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7530

Somewhat smaller, a little redder around the edges, and with a tiny piece of "chapped skin" hanging on the tip of the bump.  It hasn't changed much over the past 5-7 days (it was initially whiter, then developed a bit of red/pinkness).  It's not an open wound.

alchea

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 10:32:20 AM »

Also, it didn't seem to be part of the initial injury caused by the filter.  That injury was on the top of the head and has healed over.  I didn't see the bump when I purchased him, or after the injury.  It was visible on his chin about 6 days after the injury occurred and while the fish was being treated with the meds. 
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 12:06:45 PM »

Without a picture, I would agree with the lymphocytosis diagnosis offered on the link you provided.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
alchea

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 12:27:26 PM »

I will try to post a photo tonight.

Is lymphocytosis contagious? I see conflicting information when I research it.  I would like to move DG out of the 5g hospital and into the community tank once I remove all the tetras this week (I've found an adopter), but not if he would infect the rasboras and the bolivian ram. 

Thanks!
alchea

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 01:15:05 PM »

Okay, here are a couple of photos.  Wish they were clearer.  But you can see a bit of what I mean -- it's a red bump, not an open sore.  It has changed a little over the past 2 weeks since it formed.  I stopped the antibiotics about 4 days ago after going through two rounds of Maracyn Plus and Maroxy.  The bump has become more red, and continues to have what looks like a very small "whitehead" in the center, and a thin piece of loose skin hanging off the bump (like a piece of chapped skin).  The fish is eating, swimming and breathing normally.  

My main question is if this is a contagious lump.  He has been in QT for 3 weeks total.  I was able to adopt out all my tetras (sniff, i really did like them) so right now, all that is in the 29g community tank is 1 bolivian ram and 9 harlequins.

Thanks for any input!

* bumpa.jpg (259.8 KB, 960x720 - viewed 797 times.)

* bumpb.jpg (266.99 KB, 960x720 - viewed 583 times.)
Pat Mary

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 02:10:02 PM »

I would keep him in QT for a while.  See if these links help you  http://badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_palace/tropicalfish_disease_identification_1.html#Growth

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_palace/tropicalfish_disease_identification_1.html#Worm

When in doubt, do a water change.
fishbro22

Portrait and banner by RummyNose

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 02:40:11 PM »

Do you have a QT?

alchea

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 04:45:06 PM »

Yeah, he's been in a 5g QT for 3 weeks.  First week was for an injury, which healed, and then in the process he developed this lump/cyst which has persisted and not exhibited much change for 2 weeks.

I really can't tell if its that lymph virus mentioned above, a mystery lump, a bacteria, or a worm/parasite.  The worm or parasite seems least likely to me, because I don't see any moving worms or worm tails etc.... but who knows? The fish's overall coloring looks fine, though sort of greyish brown on the top of his head -- that's where his injury was, which has now closed up.

Just in case, I picked up some Maracide to treat parasites.  Should I try it?

Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 04:54:46 PM »

Keep him in QT.

He has an immune system, let it do its job.

Pat Mary

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 04:58:45 PM »

I wouldn't treat for parasites if that's not what it is.  I would just do the water changes.

When in doubt, do a water change.
alchea

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 06:05:44 PM »

Thanks all!  I'll try have more patience.... poor guy just looks so bored in the tiny bare tank with the plastic plant.  Hah.
Netti

Canada Canada

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 06:27:50 PM »

Don't know much about sick fish, but sick people are usually bored too while sick! He'll probably regain his health much better without the worry of having to get to know another new environment and tank mates!  fish09
I hope your beautiful gourami gets well soon!

40 gallon long South Asian, 10 gallon Betta tank
superpap56
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 11:03:25 PM »

good luck--- i just quarantined a tetra with a very similar looing lump--actually one on each side in front of tail fin--------It is already past it's normal lifespan--if the profiles are correct by nearly 2 yrs---but I am working on her ---good luck with yours.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation