Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 08, 2019, 10:05:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ADF emergency  (Read 5198 times)
Robbie

« on: March 20, 2011, 11:14:46 AM »

My african dwarf frog floated for 48 hours before coming down. It then went up again for 24 hours and began to puff up. It then went down again and started walking around. Then It began to deflait but not all the way. It is now floating for 10 minutes and then resting for 15. Whats going on?   confused

I LIKE PLECOS!!!
Ruthy
Veterinarian

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 11:18:46 AM »

How big is the tank? How long has it been set up? How long has the frog been in there? Are there any other tank mates?
What are the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Please answer those questions otherwise figuring out what is wrong is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.
Wheels on the Bus
Hamster- the other white meat.

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 05:23:19 PM »

Robbie, are you sure it isn't just doing the "zen floating thing"? Sometimes they like to float, hang out, and be mellow.

Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 03:36:03 AM »

Floating for 48 hours isn't normal.

Answer Ruthys questions or we simply can't help you.

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Robbie

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 04:04:31 PM »

the tank is a 10 gallon stocked, including 2 other frogs, It has been up for 8 months and all 3 frogs went in 5 months ago, I don't have a test kit yet but i'm hoping to get it tested at the store later today. I will post the parameters. Sorry for the late reply, I went to a friends house after posting the question.  11579

I LIKE PLECOS!!!
Robbie

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 08:37:03 PM »

I went to this aquarium store called Bigal's to get it tested, I took a sample then changed the water and took another. The manager tested it and told me in the before sample I had some ammonia but their was nothing in the after smaple. He reccomended Melafix so I got some. I have started treatment. Thanks anyway
-Robbie kewl 11579 fish09

I LIKE PLECOS!!!
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 08:57:05 PM »

How much ammonia was in there?  How often do you change water?  What filter do you have and how do you maintain it? 

If there is ammonia, there has to be a reason why it's there.  You just can't medicate the tank without fixing the reason.

When in doubt, do a water change.
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 11:19:14 PM »

Don't add Melafix to your water! It isn't going to help your ADF.

You should be performing a 50% water change/gravel vac once a week. ADFs are sensitive to their water conditions. They absorb everything through their skin. The ammonia in your water is what is making your ADF sick. Routine water changes should rid the water of ammonia if it is fully cycled and if you're not wiping your good bacteria out by doing something wrong. Over feeding, rotting plant matter, etc, can also cause ammonia.

Ammonia is the problem but the question is why do you have detectable ammonia in a fully cycled tank.

Please answer Pat Marys questions.

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Robbie

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 02:39:45 PM »

They told me their wasn't much ammonia but it was enough to do something to the frogs but not the fish. I change 20% of the water once a week. I have a tetra pf10 wisper filter, I wash the cartridge once a month and change every 2. I missed a water change 1 week ago and food started to break down on the bottom. I think thats where the ammonia came from. About a day after I posted this my frog got red markings on it's underside. After the first day of treatment they disapeared. Before treatment I changed 40% of the water.

I LIKE PLECOS!!!
Ruthy
Veterinarian

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 02:45:08 PM »

In an established tank you're looking more to to 50% water change per week.
But I don't think you have to change your filter medium unless it is falling apart, I've had the same medium for over a year and it's still all good. If you throw away the medium, you're throwing away the beneficial bacteria that live there.
How is it that you wash the cartridge? Swish in tank water or under the tap?
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 03:05:32 PM »

Robbie, for the future it is best that you get your own test kit. Get the liquid type and not test strips.   Both frogs and fish are affected by ammonia.  Are there fish in the tank too?  I find it hard to believe that the food is what caused the ammonia spike.  I believe, as Ruthy said, that you disposed of the bacteria when you changed your filter.  You are going to have to continue to test the water and do a 50% change whenever it shows any ammonia.

When you feed, don't feed so much that food accumulates on the bottom.  That is way too much.

When in doubt, do a water change.
Robbie

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 04:28:52 PM »

ok thanks happy and I wash the filter cartridge under the tap and yes there are fish in the tank. proud 11579

I LIKE PLECOS!!!
Ruthy
Veterinarian

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 04:35:31 PM »

Ahh that might be another one of the problems, it's best to swish it in tank water you take out during water changes. The chlorine in the tap water may kill off some of the bacteria.
Good luck with the cycling, it's the worst part of keeping fish!
GB

Tanks: 25G Community Tank, 10G Crayfish tank, 3G Betta tank, 34G Saltwater

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 08:28:16 PM »

Robbie,

What Ruthy said. Please don't wash your filter media under tap water -- you're killing your beneficial bacteria!! just swish it around in your used tank water. And yes, please do get a test kit and check the water yourself.

Good luck!

GB
Robbie

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 06:41:28 AM »

thanks I'll wash it in tank water next time, I took it out for treatment so the medicene wouldn't be absorbed and I kept it in a container of my aquarium water happy

I LIKE PLECOS!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's