Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 02, 2014, 09:02:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

Discount Aquarium Supplies at ThatFishPlace.com
News: mchambersn won "The get to know the Corydoras" contest. Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why did my guppy die?  (Read 3397 times)
Brocktree

Tanks: 10 gallon, 5 gallon (soon to be empty)

Guppies Rule

« on: March 22, 2011, 08:54:17 PM »

Hi.  I happened to glance into my fish tank and I saw that one of my guppies had died.  It was up against the back wall and it was very fat.  It could be bloated because it died or it is because it was pregnant. All of my other fish seem to be perfectly fine.  Can anyone tell me why it died? confused
Pat Mary

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 09:11:25 PM »

Hi Brocktree.  It's been a while since we talked with you.

In order for us to figure out why she died we will need answers to some questions.

How big is your tank and what kinds of fish and how many fish are in it?  We need to also know what the readings are for your water.  What is the reading for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?  How often do you change water and how much do you change?  When you got her was she already grown or was she a baby?

When in doubt, do a water change.
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 125 community, 450 pacu community, 180 tilapia, 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 04:56:20 AM »

All important questions.  I wouldn't even think about guessing a cause of death with out those answers.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 05:51:49 AM »

http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php?topic=7257.0

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Belinda

Tanks: 90 gallon,2x75 gallon,55 gallon, 2x50 gallon; and shall we say a few more.. always growing always changing.

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 10:01:04 AM »

Is this the 10 gallon tank ..??
How many guppies do you have in that tank??  Any other fish in there??

How often do you change your water?? how often do you do it as well??
 Do you test your tank water??
 The pet store can do it for you ..but please ask for actual numbers and write them down.

We really need some more information about your tank to figure things out!!

You have posted a few times in the past about your guppies dying..

With no other information from you we can only make  wild guesses.
and we will usually guess the worst.

It took 7 days for God to create this world...
So how long will it take for me to create the perfect tank???
Brocktree

Guppies Rule

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 05:56:43 PM »

Okay, lots of questions.  It is a 10 gallon tank, there are 7 other fish as well as a lot of small guppy fry.  There are 2 other guppies, 3 red minor tetras, 2 albino cory catfish and 1 clown plecostomus.  As for the readings, I do not know what they are.  All the other fish seem to be fine and healthy.
Pat Mary

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 06:19:54 PM »

Brocktree, I know that you are a young person who just wants to have a nice tank of fish to enjoy.  I started my first tank when I was a little younger than you are so I really do understand.

If you were to get a puppy, you would learn what he needed to grow up healthy and strong.  You would want to be the best puppy owner.  If you had a kennel for him, you would want the right size so that he wouldn't be cramped.  You would get a collar that wouldn't be too small.  You would do everything you could to make life nice for him.

Fish are the same thing.  It's just that they live in water.  They still have needs that we have to provide for to keep them strong and healthy and happy.  One thing that you do need to have is a test kit.  You can never tell just by looking at the water if it is safe for your fish.  It would be good for you to get tests for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.  Get the kind that are liquid and have little test tubes with them.  If you can't afford them, then take samples of the tank water to your LFS.  They will test it for free.  Then, write down the exact numbers that they get from testing.

You have too many fish in there. Read this. http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=11184.0  It gives an idea of what to keep in a 10 gallon tank.  The pleco is one that cannot live in a 10 gallon.  Take him back to the shop.  After you read this, come back and ask questions.

Belinda

Tanks: 90 gallon,2x75 gallon,55 gallon, 2x50 gallon; and shall we say a few more.. always growing always changing.

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 11:53:39 PM »

Can anyone tell me why it died? confused

Brocktree ..It most likely died from stress.  Stress from overcrowding..
There are too many fish in that tank ..way too many!!
They may look fine to you but they are not...a pregnant guppy need a place to go hide to have her babies ..and if she can't she will die trying to wait for a good place to go .

Please read the lists that Pat Mary gave you...there are lots of example of what can live very happily in your sized tank.

You should take some of those fish back to the store and trade them in for some that can live in your tank.

Now answer us these questions ..How often do you change water?? and how much water do you change when you do it?

their water is their toilet...
 We have to change out water so that they have clean water to live in ..and not polluted water ..the stuff just doesn't go away ..even if we don't see it..
The only way to get the pollution out of the tank is to change out part of their water regularly..
One of the ways to know how much pollution is in the tank is to have the water tested.

Please read about your fish in the fish profiles part of the forum ..and please tell us about your water.

It took 7 days for God to create this world...
So how long will it take for me to create the perfect tank???
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 125 community, 450 pacu community, 180 tilapia, 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 04:51:02 AM »

The fish died because it was cared for poorly.  It is amazing how long some abused animals live, but the lucky ones die.

Please learn to care for your pets BEFORE you agree to take responsibility for them.  We have said this to you before. 

You cannot keep schooling fish in pairs or trios, you cannot keep that many fish in a 10 gallon tank, you cannot "guess" if the water is healthy, you cannot keep a fish that grows to be 5" long in a tiny little box,  and you cannot keep fish in a tank with out doing frequent large volume water changes. 

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
Brocktree

Guppies Rule

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 09:24:42 AM »

I change the water 1-2 times a week and change 50%.
Pat Mary

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 09:39:25 AM »

It's hard for us to know whether you're changing water often enough because you still have not given us your water readings.  Also, the tank has too many fish in it as has been said before.  More fish will die until you change their conditions.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's