Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 06, 2019, 05:48:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ADF Buddies  (Read 4314 times)
Jasmine92

Tanks: 1 5 gallon

« on: March 31, 2011, 04:01:42 PM »

Tomorrow i am getting a 10 gallon (shouts for joy). I have looked at the stocking suggestions for 10 gallon, which I may say was very very helpful  happy. my question is, is the betta/ adf the only variation i can have with adfs? don't worry I am going to run the tank for a month b4 putting anything in. next question (little off topic, adhd syndrome) would it be over stalking to add a snail? thank you! Smiley
redfan

Tanks: Fluval Roma 65G, Roma 30G, Unspecified 7G, Standard 15G

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 04:10:14 PM »

Depends what kind of snail Jasmine .. I have 2 Apple Snails and a ADF in a 7Gal tank, they all seem happy.

The real reason the suggestion you get is due to tank size ... a Betta is pretty much the only fish that is happy in a 5Gal tank, as above I have 7 Gal with some live plants, in it I have 2 Apple Snails (great characters) and a ADF (African Dwarf Frog) at this point, I would not add any fish.

If that makes sense then great Smiley would hate for you to make the wrong decisions ... so am happy you have come here to enquire about this Smiley ... Best of luck Smiley

Say Apple Snails are great due to the fact they will demolish leftover veg ... have twice now put sizeable chunks of cucumber in the tank and my two have hollowed it within 24 hrs .. Now that's true being Green Smiley

Fish ... Fish .. and more FISH
Jasmine92

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 04:21:24 PM »

I was thinking gold mystery snail. would 2 adf 1 female betta and 1 GMS be ok in a 10 gallon. being sure to ask a lot of questions I tend to be very impulsive. I'm just going to get my male betta a g/f..in a separate tank to make amends for ruining his Bubble nests. He flares at me every time I go near the tank now =/.  Happy news is he went from a 2 gallon to a 5 gallon =)
redfan

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 04:29:10 PM »

lol re the way your betta treats you now

sorry to not be up with all acronyms but a GMS? the stock you are looking at sounds good to me .... your male betta would forgive you if you add a female Wink

If GMS is Gold Mystery snail  then stop it lol .. that's a Apple Snail lol ... the 2 frogs would be ok with that setup and will provide some character to the tank Smiley ... for the apple snail check out www.applesnail.net a whole site devoted to this great aquatic creature ... you will get advice on sexing and caring for them there Smiley

hope all this helps.

Oh, pop in chat and talk to Robbie (hope he does not mind me saying this) he is currently breeding Apple Snails and has been of help to me regarding them.

Jasmine92

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »

He is a funny sort, His name is Mr. Fishy (very inventive huh?). I also learned he is not a morning Fish.. i turn the light off at night for him to get some shut eye...if i turn it back on b4 11 he is very cranky and sits staring at me all flared out..
Sorry about the bad abbreviations I am such a lazy person sometimes.
I will be sure and talk to him.. still finding my way around the site.
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 04:40:36 PM »

Mark, you do realize that Jasmine is putting the female betta in a separate tank which is what must be done.  He would probably kill her if both were housed in a 10 gallon.

When in doubt, do a water change.
Jasmine92

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 04:41:47 PM »

apparently i need to go back to school is acronyms now abbreviations. lame
redfan

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 04:43:19 PM »

No Pat I did not realise that sorry .... but obviously best way

Jasmine, I get like that with my fish, I see there personalities Smiley

Jasmine92

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 04:43:30 PM »

They will be on the same table so they can watch each other.. after watching mister fish 2 punch an apple snail I wouldn't trust him with a plastic fish.
Jasmine92

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 05:05:14 PM »

reading that article helped a lot! only question i still have is will it be alright with 2 African dwarf frogs and a female betta in a 10 gallon?
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 05:14:58 PM »

Yup.  Tank #1 has an option for one betta and two or three adf's.  Smiley

When in doubt, do a water change.
redfan

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 05:22:01 PM »

I do not see why not, a African Dwarf Frog is unlikely to reach a big enough size to hassle a female betta and from my experience a betta despite there fighting fish reputation generally get on with most species of aquatic life forms.

An Acronym is similar to abbreviation .... sorry for any confusion.  While being English does not mean my grammar etc is the best lol

Jasmine92

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 05:29:44 PM »

O goody! now the hard part waiting for the tank to cycle =/ sadly when i got mister fish I knew nothing about cycling... got 2 gallons of spring water put some start right in and plopped him in.. poor guy. thank you for all your help =).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation