Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

February 20, 2019, 01:25:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 dwarf gourami? bettas as community fish?  (Read 2109 times)
qwillpen

one fish two fish, red fish blue fish

« on: April 05, 2011, 09:48:58 AM »

I have a 30 gal. I've had a dwarf gourami for about a week that does nothing but swim up & down the side of the tank. I think he's actually watching his reflection. I'd like to add another male dwarf gourami,( but am concerned about possible aggression. I currently have 4 platy, 6 glofish danios (will up to 10 eventually) and 4 Sterbai cory.

Also, can a single male betta be a community fish? I've always thought they had to be alone due to aggression issues, but would rather have one than the dwarf gourami's if its possible.
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 09:54:28 AM »

I wouldn't put another gourami, male or female (especially male) in there.  That tank is stocked.  As far as a betta goes, it may or may not be a good community fish.  Some are laid back and can live with others.  Others are grumpy and want to be alone.  It depends on the fish.  In my opinion, your glofish would be too zippy for a betta. 

When in doubt, do a water change.
redfan

Tanks: Fluval Roma 65G, Roma 30G, Unspecified 7G, Standard 15G

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 10:12:54 AM »

I second Pat's reply.  2 Male Gourami's are a no no I found out the hard way.  Qwillpen, you would be wise to listen to Pat on this she's never pointed me in a wrong direction.  That goes equally for the Betta.  Classic new fish keeping mistake imho.

Fish ... Fish .. and more FISH
qwillpen

one fish two fish, red fish blue fish

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 10:27:21 AM »

Thanks for the advice, even though its hard to accept. I love my aquarium but keep finding new fish I want to add. Have to keep tinkering with it. I decided I would keep this 30 g for a year for the experiance before getting more, but I've mentally stocked several 50 g or higher! LOL
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 10:33:01 AM »

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Smiley

I certainly understand where you're coming from.  There are so many beautiful fish out there.  What you should be striving for is to provide the best life for the ones you currently have.  Then, when you're ready, you can get ten more tanks and stock to your heart's content.  Wink

When in doubt, do a water change.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's