Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

October 24, 2014, 08:25:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

Discount Aquarium Supplies at ThatFishPlace.com
News: mchambersn won "The get to know the Corydoras" contest. Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bettas Can Recognize you??  (Read 7494 times)
Fish516
« on: May 01, 2011, 05:21:20 PM »

I've heard a few times that bettas can recognize you.  Is this true?
Pat Mary

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 05:31:19 PM »

Pretty much so.  They see you come close to the tank and  then beg for food.

When in doubt, do a water change.
Ed

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 05:48:56 PM »

Most fish will recognize you and/or footsteps (via vibrations in the water) as you approach the aquarium. 

They many times swarm to the front of the aquarium because that is their number one signal that they are probably about to get something to eat.   happy

Fish516
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 06:04:16 PM »

How long does it take for this recognition to occur?

Also, is it true that fish can only remember you for a few seconds?  I guess it isn't true if they can remember you.
Ruthy
Future fish vet

Tanks: 2 and a pond

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 06:24:23 PM »

My betta definitely knows who I am! He does a little dance every time he sees me. When my boyfriend came round he showed his distaste lol.
Dissy
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 08:11:19 PM »

Mne seems to know the difference between 'food', 'no food', and get behind the plant - the cats staring at me'.
Fish516
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 06:12:08 AM »

That's so funny!!
Telcomvic

Tanks: 20 gal high

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 05:54:22 PM »

I think my fish can tell time as well as recognize my face. Every evening about 6 they are at the front of the glass waiting for dinner. Smiley

20 gal high with 8 Glofish, 3 Pristella Tetras, 3 Lemon Tetras and 2 Aspidoras.
Netti

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 07:08:31 PM »

A few days ago my blue Betta started doing a little dance when he sees me. We got him second hand a couple weeks back! I can imagine that he missed his previous care-giver. But you know what they say about males, love goes through the stomach: You feed them, they love you!  happy 
It is pretty cute how he dances, first wiggling to one side, like a shuffle, then the other, with his back curved. Like a dog doing a happy dance when you get home, not getting enough of you petting him!

40 gallon long South American tank, 10 gallon Betta tank
Adam95173

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 09:49:13 AM »

Can't say it confidently. Because my fish came close to me, stare me for some time and ran without saying anything  Sad  Sad  Sad  Sad  Sad .
AquariumFish

Tanks: 1 Gallon Tank (empty)

Take care of your fish, they have feelings too. :P

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 04:24:29 PM »

I think my betta can LOL. When I come to his tank he comes up to the surface and does his little food dance. But, when anyone else comes to the tank he flares at them and gets angry, unless they feed him LOL.  Smiley

A lot of people like to walk around aimlessly in the mall for hours on end to look at all the cool stuff being sold. I do the same thing, but instead in my local aquarium store. Smiley
Netti

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 05:46:35 PM »

Funny that you say that, Aquariumfish, because after I came back from vacation my Betta flared at me too when I went to feed him. I think he'd gotten used to my son feeding him, lol! But now he's back at doing his little dance for me again, the Betta I mean, not my son, lol!

Dissy
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 09:21:07 PM »

Fickle little things, arent they?
Netti

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 05:06:00 AM »

You got that right, Dissy.  Smiley

fuzzycatz

Tanks: 29g: 8 Black Neon Tetras, 7 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Dwarf Gourami, 1 Bolivian Ram, 1 amano shrimp, and a nerite snail

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 01:37:00 PM »

A friend at work had a betta in her office, and whenever I went to talk to her, whether I was standing in the doorway or sitting at her desk, he would flare at me. The funny thing is he wouldn't do it to anyone else who came in, just me lol.
redfan

Tanks: Fluval Roma 65G, Roma 30G, Unspecified 7G, Standard 15G

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2011, 04:49:54 PM »

Betta's being the same family as Gourami have lots of personality ... mine as lots here have mentioned does a little dance when he sees me and will even follow my finger on the outside of the tank as I direct him to a piece of prawn that is floating around in the tank Smiley

Dougal is a cool fish and as many of my fish prove, they know there care givers and grow to love you Smiley

My Sailfin Plec always comes out when I am up close to the tank expecting food, and will even let me stroke him etc .. keeping fish the right way has so many pluses that those that have little regard for a fish's life will never experience.

Fish ... Fish .. and more FISH
purpleheart

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 07:56:26 AM »

Define "recognize"

I believe they can't tell the difference of your face or your friends. I think they only think food and food and food and food and food and food and food and food.  proud
Dissy
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 11:33:52 AM »

Nah.  I think they know more.   My hubby can stand there and hold the food and he gets flared at because hes not supposed to have the food.
dojolvr27

Aquariast since June 2010

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 12:41:49 PM »

proud Dissy, that's funny. I can see them now saying "Hey, what are you doing with that food? It's ours, now we want food so stop holding it and give!" LOL

One fish, two fish; crayfish, no fish! :-o
Lilybean
Yemeyana

Tanks: 3g empty, 20g (gouramis and shark temp tanks), 55g soon!

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 08:34:27 PM »

Not quite a Betta, but my gourami Atticus definitely knows who's who in the house. Even with my Lady Gaga-esque costume changes, she manages to know who I am Wink

And i definitely see the same character and intelligence in the Bettas I see at the LFS. I think a lot of fish character is affected by the tank, tank mates, and how you 'raise' your fish. I guess if you only interact at feeding time then it will associate you with food. If you spend a little more time together, you will get very close indeed.
Me and Atticus have our own little 'conversations', playing with each other and getting right up to each others' noses.

I'd love to know who came up with the 'three-second memory' idea. They were probably trying to justify keeping goldfish in a wine glass or something...

Tonight the waves march
In long ranks
Cutting the darkness
With their silver shanks,
Cutting the darkness
And kissing the moon
And beating the land\'s
Edge into a swoon
MattTheMorrisSailor
Student

Owned by his fish tank since 28/12/10

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 03:35:32 PM »

I know mine def' can, it goes for my fingers even without any food (it won't do it to anyone else). It also knows I am its source of food so is pleased to see me :P

One day we shall live in glass boxes and fish shall be looking after us...
Michelle9843

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2011, 09:25:04 AM »

I have found that most fish do pick out certain people, especially those who take care of them!  fish16
Lilybean
Yemeyana

Tanks: 3g empty, 20g (gouramis and shark temp tanks), 55g soon!

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2011, 08:17:10 PM »

Hehe... cynical :P

Atty's going through a rough time at the moment (blame the shark - she's moving the second the QT is ready) and though she's generally stressy, she comes up to me when I'm near and it definitely calms her down and keeps her spirits up.

I'm sure she remembers all the other times I've helped her out with problems like this.

Tonight the waves march
In long ranks
Cutting the darkness
With their silver shanks,
Cutting the darkness
And kissing the moon
And beating the land\'s
Edge into a swoon
Fish516
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2011, 09:26:19 AM »

Yeah, my betta comes to the top when he sees me.  He knows that foods coming!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation