Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 22, 2018, 03:33:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Want to do species only tanks  (Read 4146 times)
dojolvr27

Aquariast since June 2010

« on: June 29, 2011, 12:04:16 PM »

This weekend I will be getting my 55g. I'm going to put my 3 Dojos and 9 wcmm back in it. I want to add Zebras to this tank. How many would be a good number to add?

In my 26g flat back hex I want to turn this into a Swordtail (males only) tank. Right now I have 2 @ 2" and the rest are fry. 1 is @ 1/2" and 7 are @ 1/4" long. For a total of 10. All of these are fry that I have raised.
Could I add any more to this tank? Dementions are 36"L x 12"w x 16"h.

My 20g will be a male Guppy tank. Currently I have 4. How many more could be added?

Thanks

One fish, two fish; crayfish, no fish! :-o
Lilybean
Yemeyana

Tanks: 3g empty, 20g (gouramis and shark temp tanks), 55g soon!

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 08:28:46 PM »

I can't think of anything that you would call a 'zebra' that lives in cold water.
I'm pretty sure dojo loach and the minnows are to cool for most other fish?

I may be completely off here, but...

Tonight the waves march
In long ranks
Cutting the darkness
With their silver shanks,
Cutting the darkness
And kissing the moon
And beating the land\'s
Edge into a swoon
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 08:46:44 PM »

Zebra danios are fine in cold water, I am sure she means them.  Cold meaning down to about 60, I wouldn't put them in water that freezes over the top.  You could easily add 20 of them to that tank.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
dojolvr27

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 10:25:18 PM »

Finally a reply.  party

I did mean Zebra Danios. Right now my tanks are both at 76f (give or take) It is always hot in my house. We have to use the cooler and fans all the time just to cool it down.

As to my Swords, I have a total of 5. 2) adults and the other 3 are fry. One fry is as big as a Neon now though. The other two are 1/4 inch long. The 3 fry are as of now unsexed.

Lilybean
Yemeyana

Tanks: 3g empty, 20g (gouramis and shark temp tanks), 55g soon!

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 06:25:29 AM »

Well, that's one thing I didn't know about zebra danios that has surprised me... my bad.

Are they as infamously zippy at that temperature? I always thought they wouldn't mix with other schooling fish...

Tonight the waves march
In long ranks
Cutting the darkness
With their silver shanks,
Cutting the darkness
And kissing the moon
And beating the land\'s
Edge into a swoon
dojolvr27

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 10:27:47 AM »

I haven't gotten the Danios yet. I probably won't get them for a couple weeks since I will be going to see my parents the 1st couple weeks of August. My Dad is not doing too well.
I have never kept Zebra Danios so I have yet to see how they'll do.

redfan

Tanks: Fluval Roma 65G, Roma 30G, Unspecified 7G, Standard 15G

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 05:22:29 PM »

As Karen Say's Zebra Danios can be comfortably temperate fish.  Personally I would keep them around 68F / 20C to get the most out of them.  As with all fish the lower the temperature the less active they become.  Danios should mix OK with schooling fish depending on the fish.  Danios tend to be pretty fast and aggressive with food, so not suggested with slower competing fish.

Hope it all helps Smiley

Fish ... Fish .. and more FISH
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 06:03:39 AM »

As Karen Say's Zebra Danios can be comfortably temperate fish.  Personally I would keep them around 68F / 20C to get the most out of them.  As with all fish the lower the temperature the less active they become.

I hope mine don't read this.  Their water was well below 60 for most of the winter, they didn't slow down at all.  I am sorry Redfan, but your statement just isn't true.  It really depends on the physiology of the fish.  Fish that have evolved for life in colder waters move around with all the speed they choose.  Just as an ice fishermen!

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

Tanks: 125,75,50,20's (2),10's(4),5's(7)

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 07:21:22 PM »

It's news to me as well that zebra danios would do well in water that cold. I didn't know they were a temperate species like the White Cloud minnows. They have always been classed as a tropical in the general fishkeeping literature.
That is very interesting to know Karen, although it doesn't necessarily surprise me, they are a very hardy and adaptable fish.

redfan

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 06:57:17 AM »

Karen, I consider myself corrected  run_away Was only really quoting what I know of these things. Cheers for pointing out the error, I'm surprised they survive in temperatures that low but given the fish not totally stunned.  I am accurate regarding the feeding habits of zebra danios though.  Have seen it many times myself Smiley

Badman
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 08:00:35 AM »

From fish base, Tropical; 18C - 24C (Ref. 1672); 33N - 8N, 66E - 98E .Like everything else there are exceptions to all numbers.

liv2padl, Craig, Michael B - we miss you, rest in eternal peace.
Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

Tanks: 125,75,50,20's (2),10's(4),5's(7)

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 03:27:25 PM »

thanks Pat, not all that off from Karen's keeping then and perfect at Redfans as well. 65-75 degrees.

Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 08:21:51 AM »

Mine are just in an unheated tank that is in the living room, temps probably range from 55-56 in the winter to what ever they are right now.... and I am guessing that number is higher than I want to see my goldfish at.  (If I don't measure it, its not happening right?)

redfan

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 05:28:23 AM »

If you don't measure it lol Am actually really happy about what I've learned here regarding the danios as getting some temperate ones from my LFS to take up to my dad's cold water tank (which is around 71.6F) Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's