Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 08, 2019, 08:42:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where's the weirdest place you've found a shrimp?  (Read 3048 times)
jimmyd

Tanks: 20 Gallon(high); 8 Gallon Biorb

« on: May 13, 2011, 10:46:01 AM »

So I've found dead shrimp on top of the aquarium cover and even on my office chair that sits next to my 20 gallon. Where I found a shrimp last night though, is what prompted me to ask if anybody else has found shrimp in weird places.

I was doing laundry last night and as I was taking my clothes out of the dryer I happened to look at the washing machine to the left and see a red cherry shrimp sitting on top of the washer. Keep in mind, I live in an apartment building where the washer and dryer are in the basement and common to the building. As far as I know I'm the only one in the building with fish tanks.

The only explanation I can come up with is that a shrimp jumped out of the 5 gallon tank in my bedroom and crawled across the floor toward the laundry hamper. It probably crawled into a pile of dirty laundry on the floor, then got scooped up and washed with the rest of the clothes. Needless to say, I was pretty surprised to see a shrimp on the washer, four floors down.

Am I the only one with shrimp that like to abandon ship and end up in odd places? The funny thing is that the lids on my tanks pretty much cover up all open spaces. There's only about 5% that is not covered and these shrimp seem to find that space.

Blogging: Never before have so many people with so little to so say said so much to so few.
redfan

Tanks: Fluval Roma 65G, Roma 30G, Unspecified 7G, Standard 15G

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 05:28:50 AM »

Can shrimp even move out of water is more than question to me? I have Ghost shrimp and have lost my first this morning (result of temp moving to a bag last night while I redesigned the tank) but he was in the tank.  When I take mine out of the tank and they're in the net they are almost flat against the net surface.  Really cannot see how they can stand and run about on land as such.

Then again, maybe I'm just wrong (first time with shrimp) but I would say it's more likely one has escaped when you have been cleaning or something and without knowing it's end up in these random places.

If they are running about then that's pretty freaky tbh lol

Fish ... Fish .. and more FISH
jimmyd

Tanks: 20 Gallon(high); 8 Gallon Biorb

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 03:14:51 PM »

Oddly enough, they can move outside of the tank. I think the bigger the shrimp is, the more able it is to move around. Red cherries tend to just lay there with an occassional jump here and there.

I once had an Amano shrimp escape the tank during a cleaning and land on the floor... he started to crawl across the floor, dragging his tail. I also once returned from vacation to find a crayfish had jumped out of my tank, crawled across my bedroom floor, down the hall, and into the bathroom.

Blogging: Never before have so many people with so little to so say said so much to so few.
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 06:23:13 AM »

lol

My shrimp just stay in their tank.

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
sherriB

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 10:37:52 AM »

I have had ghost shrimp forever and they stay in my tanks fine - covered or not. I have had 1 cherry shrimp leave the tank and I have had 1 amano shrimp leave the tank - dont know why and so far it has just been the one of each. Covering your tanks is the best thing - but I am one of those folks that like mine open.

40 Gallon Breeder: 10 Tiger Barb; 9 Oto; 6 Dwarf loaches
20 Gallon Long: 6 Panda Cory; 6 Albino Cory; 1 Male Betta
30 Gallon Breeder: 30 Neon Tetras
fuzzycatz

Tanks: 29g: 8 Black Neon Tetras, 7 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Dwarf Gourami, 1 Bolivian Ram, 1 amano shrimp, and a nerite snail

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 01:55:54 PM »

I think shrimp are pretty creepy anyway, but this thread has convinced me never to get any lol  Smiley
redfan

Tanks: Fluval Roma 65G, Roma 30G, Unspecified 7G, Standard 15G

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 07:30:47 PM »

that's kind of strange Jimmy, but hey I believe what ya say .. strange shrimp lol

Sherri, my tank is covered but when its been left open I do not worry about them escaping lol ... fuzzy, you should give them a go they are pretty fun tbh Smiley

Fish ... Fish .. and more FISH
GB

Tanks: 25G Community Tank, 10G Crayfish tank, 3G Betta tank, 34G Saltwater

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 10:37:27 PM »

Mine stay in their tank (I have RCS). I was a bit ambivalent at first, but now think they are cool...

GB
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 01:36:36 PM »

Grass shrimp (salt water) do NOT stay in or even near their tanks.

When I had salt water tanks I found them all over the house.  I haven't had a salt water tank in almost a year and I am still finding them.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation