Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 20, 2019, 05:10:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aggressive Gouramis  (Read 3893 times)
FishyFace
Fishy Queen

Tanks: 2 empty 5 gallons, 1 empty 2.5 gallon, 1 40 gallon with 2 clown loaches and 11 danios

« on: May 14, 2011, 05:11:17 PM »

I'm getting a new 29 gallon tank, and I was wondering, can I get a pair? I read on its profile to use caution, but what exactly does that mean? What should I put in there to ensure that they won't fight each other?

"Birds and butterflies, rivers and mountains she creates. But you'll never know, the next move she'll make." Mother Earth ~ Within Temptation
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 05:57:36 PM »

Which gouramis are you thinking of getting?  Most of them work best if you have 2 females to one male if you want them mixed.  But don't get large ones like pearls.  Any other fish going in there?

When in doubt, do a water change.
FishyFace
Fishy Queen

Tanks: 2 empty 5 gallons, 1 empty 2.5 gallon, 1 40 gallon with 2 clown loaches and 11 danios

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 06:18:04 PM »

Well, I was thinking of getting a pair of dwarf gouramis with a school of harlequins and 5 or 6 kuhli loaches.

"Birds and butterflies, rivers and mountains she creates. But you'll never know, the next move she'll make." Mother Earth ~ Within Temptation
mpfsr
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 06:24:40 PM »

I wouldn't try it unless it very well planted with plants floor to the top. theres not allot of territory for 2 males as they like there space. Thou I have kept 2 males in a 29g like I said its very heavily planted. I didn't keep them together long enough to say it would work long term.

Edit..this is for DG's
Dissy
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 11:23:35 PM »

FishyFace - Have you ever taken care of picky, temperamental fish before?
FishyFace
Fishy Queen

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 08:53:32 AM »

No, not really, I've previously kept livebearers, cories, a clown loach, danios, etc. Should I not be getting gouramis?

Dissy
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 09:11:34 AM »

No, not really, I've previously kept livebearers, cories, a clown loach, danios, etc. Should I not be getting gouramis?

You need to have a "just in case" backup plan.  If you get a Gourami that happens to think the entire tank is his, you need an immediate rehoming plan, be it a second tank to move him/her in to, or an agreement for return with your LFS.  If serious aggression happens, and doesn't right itself within a couple days max, it likely won't, and will probably even continue to get worse until fish start dying.

There are some skittish timid, but peaceful Gouramis out there - in which case, you'll rarely ever see them - bad plan if you have a fish tank because you like looking at fish.

There are some peaceful Gourami's out there that are just loaded with personality, and are content to leave well enough alone, as long as they're being fed, and not picked on.

There are some Gourami's out there that will just decide that your entire tank is theirs, and there's little to no room for other occupants.

Each fish has it's own personality, regardless of the standard "rule of thumb", and it may take a couple weeks, or even months for your fish to display their true behavior. 

Consider having a backup plan in place, as I would say *maybe* 50% of Gourami's make good tank mates for misc. fish in smaller tanks.

Sally

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 09:26:24 AM »

Since I have had your exact situation, I will share my experience:  I started out with a 20 gallon and got a pair of dwarf gourmais, male and female. I had to return the female to store because they were after each other constantly. Over time I ended up getting a 29 gallon tank for the gourami because he was SO territorial. The extra room didn't help and eventually I rehomed him to a 75 gallon tank of a friend where he did well.  I ended up with Honey gouramis, 4 of them in the 29 gallon. This worked really well, they are completley peaceful fish. I had 3 females and one male. I missed my dwarf, but it was so worth it to have a peaceful tank.
Hope this helps.
FishyFace
Fishy Queen

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 09:34:21 AM »

Dissy: What I would probably do is buy a tank separator as a short-term fix, but then I would return it to the LFS ASAP. I'm pretty sure they would let me return it, and if not, I have a 10 gallon spare one if it's absolutely necessary. I probably can't fit it in there for long, right, but it would be a short term fix.

Sally: How many honey gouramis can you keep with my tank stocking ideas? Maybe I will switch to them.

Sally

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 11:35:00 AM »

FishyFace,
I don't know enough to speak to any stocking but what I had. I got this advice which I followed and it worked well:
I had the 4 Honey gouramis, 10 cardinal tetras and one bulldog pleco. I am guessing harlequins would be fine as an alternative to the tetras. If you get the gouramis, please use top floating plants because they stay in them a lot and build their bubble nests in them. About half of my surface is covered with floating plants, (not real ones). I was careful to get plastic ones that had curved leaves so the fish didn't get scraped with any sharp edges.
Good luck, Sally
FishyFace
Fishy Queen

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 12:51:07 PM »

I read somewhere that they also like to have the corners planted, so that there is a big "o" in the middle for them to swim around. Thanks for the advice and I will buy some floating plants for the gouramis if I get them Smiley

redfan

Tanks: Fluval Roma 65G, Roma 30G, Unspecified 7G, Standard 15G

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 05:56:25 PM »

Gourami's are hit and miss, Dissy and Sally make some very good points .. you MUST have a backup plan whatever species of Gourami you get.  If the one you get turns aggressive, your tank will suffer really quickly Sad

I have had both Honey and Opaline Gourami in my 65G over the past few months, all have ended up being returned for the very reason Dissy mentions (they get to thinking the tank is there's and literally attack everything).

Fish ... Fish .. and more FISH
fuzzycatz

Tanks: 29g: 8 Black Neon Tetras, 7 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Dwarf Gourami, 1 Bolivian Ram, 1 amano shrimp, and a nerite snail

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 10:55:23 PM »

I have a dwarf gourami in a 29g with a bolivian ram. So far he's been a bully to the little ram, but I've only had the ram for a few days. They are definitely beautiful fish, but like everyone says be sure to have a back up plan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation