Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 22, 2019, 04:35:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adding a second bolivian ram?  (Read 2375 times)
alchea

Tanks: 2

« on: June 07, 2011, 06:39:29 PM »

Hello!

Well, my dwarf gourami died.  Very classic symptoms of the Dwarf Gourami Disease -- he stopped eating, withdrew, hung at the surface listlessly, became bloated/lumpy and then died a few days later in the QT.  It's been over a week+ and none of the other tankmates have shown up with any symptoms. 

So now the bolivian ram is back to being the king of the tank, which I think he may enjoy (he hated the gourami).  My husband would REALLY like to put another bolivian ram in there.  Is this a good or bad idea?  I can't seem to find a consensus of agreement on the internet.  It's a standard 30G, heavily planted and with driftwood and rocks, currently only home to the sole ram, 8 harlequins, and a few otos. 

Thanks!
a
Dissy
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 08:00:35 PM »

Do you have a male or female?

Id have a total of 4 females and one male with the intent of rehoming the other females after a pair forms.
GB

Tanks: 25G Community Tank, 10G Crayfish tank, 3G Betta tank, 34G Saltwater

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 09:24:08 PM »

Can on put in one female and wait for them to form a pair, or does he need a choice..?
Dissy
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 09:33:03 PM »

Id give him a choice.  If a female doesnt like a male, she can really get the snot beat out of her and theres no guarantee it will ever let up..
alchea

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 10:18:46 PM »

That could be a possibility.... if I could be sure to plan ahead for re-homing the other ladies.  Maybe there are some other cichlid fans in my area and work something out that way.  I'm not convinced the LFS could 100% guarantee that they could pick out females for me. 

Okay, time to delve into the world of fish psychology / behavior:  would the ram prefer another ram (a lady, because I'm assuming mine's a male) over any other kind of fish in there?  Like I said before, he REALLY hated the gourami (they didn't actually hurt one another, but there was mutual harassment over feeding and territories and the gourami chased him quite a bit).  Rather not put another fish in there that he'd despise. 
Dissy
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 10:25:42 PM »

If you dont want to deal with breeding, then maybe just leave the ram by himself.  Otherwise, get a few and wait for a pair.  The females will likely get you babies if theyre happy.  Pet stores may buy them from you for store credit.  Most gouramis are temperamental snots, so if you try another, odds are good it wont be any better..
alchea

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 10:36:20 PM »

True!  Well, now I am obsessing over whether or not my ram actually is a male -- I always thought he was, but never really thought about it extensively. But now that I'm actually researching, it could be a girl!  Mine doesn't seem to have the elongated fin tips more common on the males.  Hmmm............
Dissy
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 07:19:21 AM »

How old is it?  Other than German Blue Rams, and Convicts, most cichlids are hard to sex til theyre a lot older.  I have a few severums that are at least 6 mos old and still cant tell if theyre male or female...
alchea

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 05:20:53 PM »

Yeah, I'd estimate that this one is around 6-8months old.  Maybe we'll wait and see what develops.... I saw some images related to differentiating, and it seems like this one is leaning more towards female, but who knows!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation